Flow rate query

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hey guys, moved my peppered cories to their new larger tank as the first inhabitants. Theyā€™re glass surfing a lot which Iā€™m putting down to it being a new space for them and they now have a lot more of it compared to their previous shallow tank. But Iā€™m just alittle concerned the flows abit much for them.

itā€™s a 180litre long tank. Iā€™m using an APS 1400ef canister filter

I tried to attach a video here but doesnā€™t seem to want too, if anyone had a tip on how to do this so you can check out my flow please let me know! thanks

thanks Essjay! Hopefully this link works

Turn your camera on its side when using the video function. Then the footage will fill up the entire screen.

Watch the fish when they are resting. If they get pushed around the tank by the current, it is too high for them.

Hey guys, moved my peppered cories to their new larger tank as the first inhabitants. Theyā€™re glass surfing a lot which Iā€™m putting down to it being a new space for them and they now have a lot more of it compared to their previous shallow tank. But Iā€™m just alittle concerned the flows abit much for them.

itā€™s a 180litre long tank. Iā€™m using an APS 1400ef canister filter

I tried to attach a video here but doesnā€™t seem to want too, if anyone had a tip on how to do this so you can check out my flow please let me know! thanks
Cromid glass surfing is common with cories and nothing to worry about and i have 22 cories in my tank with oxygen blasting in off my U4, then an airstone besides pressure going in off my U2 and mine love it.

I stand corrected 20 cories lost 2 pandas with heat wave šŸ˜­

Last edited:
Cories lovedancing in a good current/flow, even the smallest ones.
Keep in mind that these 1400L/H are theoretical : water goes through hoses, clogging, and filter medias that make the flow decrease ~ 20%.

Cories lovedancing in a good current/flow, even the smallest ones.
Keep in mind that these 1400L/H are theoretical : water goes through hoses, clogging, and filter medias that make the flow decrease ~ 20%.
Avel i totally agree with you that all hoses or any holes running to hoses need cleaning out as algae besides waste clogs them up.

Thanks for the replies guys sorry for the late reply to your posts! They have since settled and definitely seem to be liking the flow so my initial panic was just that haha. Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies guys sorry for the late reply to your posts! They have since settled and definitely seem to be liking the flow so my initial panic was just that haha. Thanks again!
They surf sometimes so nothing to worry about and pleased they're settled šŸ‘

My Bronze & Albino Corys glass surf most days, Then they dance in the filter flow, Chasing each other up & down the back of the tank being blasted from 1 side to the other then they swim back & do it again & again
I have kept Corys for 20 years & it is normal behaviour, Mine have plenty of hiding spaces & are always active. After a mad couple of hours they all rest under the bogwood

Attachments

• 20210801_212014.jpg
    20210801_212014.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 52
My Bronze & Albino Corys glass surf most days, Then they dance in the filter flow, Chasing each other up & down the back of the tank being blasted from 1 side to the other then they swim back & do it again & again
I have kept Corys for 20 years & it is normal behaviour, Mine have plenty of hiding spaces & are always active. After a mad couple of hours they all rest under the bogwood
Aww awesome hah! That was exactly it - that being blasted from one side to the other. I was like oh god it that too much for them? But then they consciously go back and do it again šŸ˜‚

I do feel itā€™s probably too much for Pearl gourami though which I had planned to add aswell.

I was worried at first as i prefer internal filters & i always buy a bigger size than i need, So obviously the flow rate is more.
I keep a close eye on the Corys just to make sure they are not getting hurt & have no split or damaged fins. The guppy adults stay out of the flow but the fry & juveniles dont šŸ˜Æ. I have the filter set just enough to break the water surface but not enough to make the plants sway in the substrate

You're welcome :) Think to dedicate them a calm area where they can rest/sleep.

Most reactions

Back