Floating plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zoeeannee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I have a heavily planted tank (see photo) and have small floating plants, however the other day I uprooted a number of plants when trying to catch and re-tank a troublesome fish and left them floating on the surface overnight until the next morning when I replanted them - these plants were swords and other tall large-leaved plants (which you see in the back of the tank in the photo). The next morning, before replanting them, my gouramis and female bettas seemed very happy sitting/hiding in these plants. Given they are surface dwellers and like plant coverage, this is understandable however, I am wondering what large leafed surface plants are available, or if I can float these types of plants which are supposed to be planted - which I don’t think would be possible but if I add fertiliser to the water then could it be?

Attachments

• 00781771-6432-41A8-94AD-CB66BFF0D27B.jpeg
    00781771-6432-41A8-94AD-CB66BFF0D27B.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi! I believe you can float

Anubias
Anacharis
Hornwort
Duckweed
Frogbit
Water Spangles
Water Lettuce
Red Root Floaters

I personally have let my anubias float, I loved the look and they even grew a few new leaves!

Hi! I believe you can float

Anubias
Anacharis
Hornwort
Duckweed
Frogbit
Water Spangles
Water Lettuce
Red Root Floaters

I personally have let my anubias float, I loved the look and they even grew a few new leaves!
i've heard of guppy grass float, but i dont have it cuz i cant find it....
i think anubias is better off stuck to hardscape imo...
you can put pothos, monstera deliciosa, ribbon plants and other viny plants like pothos like

Vallisneria (jungle Val) has large leaves that form a canopy. Water lettuce are large floating plants. Swords need to be planted.

Tiger lotus are good plants, they are a bulb plant and send leaves upto the surface. They do need resting every so often though

Wouldn't have water lettuce given, started as nice big plants but then started to reproduce. These got smaller and small, now have a tank full of duckweed size plants that seems to double in amount over night

you can put pothos, monstera deliciosa, ribbon plants and other viny plants like pothos like
Guppy grass is on ebay I have some for sell and dwarf water lettuce if that helps I've attached links quite a few on ebay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you were in the UK I would sort you out some is there not any on aqua bid ?

I suggest frogbit. I have it in all my freshwater tanks and it provides lots of shade. It also has beautiful roots!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back