Floating Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend any good floating plants? I would like to add some to my 18g long tank. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I also put water sprite at the top of the floating plant list. There is also frogbit, hornwort, duckweed and others. Caution on duckweed as it can get overwhelming and one you have it....you have it!
But floating plants tend to be fast growing so they are a huge benefit to water quality as they convert nutrients (aka pollution) into plant tissue that we eventually remove in trimmings.

Last edited:
Water sprite ir frogbit for me. As @AbbeysDad says - avoid the stuff with small leaves, once they are in yor tank they are there forever.

Water sprite ir frogbit for me. As @AbbeysDad says - avoid the stuff with small leaves, once they are in yor tank they are there forever.
It doesnt last forever if you have barbs lol :D mine destroyed 20 table spoons full of duckweed in 2 days. Duckweed doesnt stand a chance in my tank.

I would love some water sprite but struggle to get it.

Last edited:
I got mine from Ebay. Do your research on the seller first :)

I do get most my plants from ebay. Never seem to get much choice with water sprite tho. Might message the seller i usually use to see if i can get hold of some

I like water moss and fairy moss. They both grow rapidly and look cool. Their leaves float on the surface and their roots hang down below.

I have Salvinia in my tanks. Grows fast and gives good coverage. I buy 99% of my plants from tropica sellers to avoid bringing in anything nasty into the tanks like the damselfly larvae that got a ride into one tank on a plant from my closest LFS.

Last edited:
I just picked up some anacharis from my LFS and found a jelly mass of snail eggs. I isolated the plant and am waiting to see if the eggs hatch.

I have Salvinia in my tanks. Grows fast and gives good coverage. I buy 99% of my plants from tropica sellers to avoid bringing in anything nasty into the tanks like the damselfly larvae that got a ride into one tank on a plant from my closest LFS.
I agree on the tropica stuff. Shrimp safe, always good quality and I have never had hitch hikers. Not so much on salvinia. I had some in one of my tanks before I discovered how well frogbit grows for me. Keep thinking I am rid of it (salvinia auriculata) and a few weeks later it re-appears. Its in all my tanks now as tiny bits attached themselves to the frogbit when I distributed that.

It doesnt last forever if you have barbs lol :D mine destroyed 20 table spoons full of duckweed in 2 days. Duckweed doesnt stand a chance in my tank.
What kind of barbs? I had a multi-week battle to remove all the duckweed from my SE Asia tank a few years ago...nothing I had would eat the stuff!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back