Floating plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A tiny correction - plants use ammonia, and nitrate if there is no ammonia present. They don't take up nitrite at all.

I agree basically, but just for information to everyone I will mention that there are some studies that indicate plants will use nitrite, but only if ammonia/ammonium is insufficient. Most aquatic plants prefer ammonium (ammonia) and they use it for two purposes, to synthesize proteins and (primarily) to store as ammonium for their nitrogen source. Apparently, according to one study (which Diana Walstad references in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium) aquatic plants may turn to nitrite if ammonium is insufficient, but not directly because taking up nitrite means they have to convert it back into ammonium. Same holds for nitrate, it too is extra energy to change it back into ammonium so the second choice, so to speak.

Walstad cites one study where a duckweed species Spirodela oligorrhiza was grown in a medium containing both nitrite and nitrate, and the duckweed clearly took up nitrite in preference over nitrate. But as Walstad mentions, aside fro this study there is [at the time of her writing] no clear data that plants generally take up nitrite over nitrate when ammonium is insufficient.

The uptake of nitrite is not something we should rely on as it will almost never be significant compared to the Nitrospira bacteria. Plant fertilizers for aquarium use generally provide nitrogen as ammonium and/or nitrate. Plants will in most situations take up all available ammonium (there is obviously a limit but hopefully no one would ever have that much ammonia/ammonium in a tank with fish) so the uptake of nitrite/nitrate is going to be minimal. There are a few species that do seem to prefer nitrate, but I needn't get into that.

Byron.

Last edited:
Second, is that you should not feed you fish twice a day. One is maximum. T

Whilst i agree most fish do not require feeding twice a day i feel that nano fish will benefit from twice daily feedings. Each meal should be very little and should be consumed quickly.

However if you are having ammonia problems, reduce feedings and only start increasing slowly when ammonia reaches zero

I meant just in general. I have a saltwater aquarium too with some blue green chromis (Chromis Viridis). They have a very high metabolism and need to be fed small amounts throughout the day (if possible).

Why are nano fish different to other fish?

Why are nano fish different to other fish?

Smaller fish have a higher metabolic rate than larger fish, so they need more food (in relation to body mass) to provide energy for their systems to function. This is part of the reason fry need more feedings too, though in their case they are also using more energy to grow and develop.

We must remember though that there is natural live food in our aquarium, at least once it becomes established. I see fry in several tanks that appear at a size indicating they obviously found sufficient food for a few weeks before I even knew they were there. The biofilm that develops on all surfaces covered by water supports a host of bacteria, algae and microscopic critters. When fish like cories are browsing over plant leaves they are hunting and finding food. Overloading the tank with prepared foods is not usually necessary even for nano fish, depending upon the numbers and aquascape of course.

D257B043-35CF-4685-9528-6F3C3CED64C4.jpeg
I have two things to say. One is that you should put the duckweed in a separate container and construct what nick made. Second, is that you should not feed you fish twice a day. One is maximum. The extra food can get under the substrate and raise ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. This is not a huge problem if you have a lot of plants because they consume the nitrite. About the duckweed, Bettas can eat duckweed, he is probably the culprit. The snail I can see very well in the picture. Any chance for a better picture?

Hi!!
I have a baby betta Boris, and i was told that babies should be fed twice a day.
Boris always acts like he is very hungry. He eats everything i give him, and never leaves leftovers...
i tried to take another pic, but my snail is hiding somewhere. Look at this one, once again please
I check water parameters weekly, my tank is cycled, and everything is pretty stable.
I will try to save my duckweed!!

I have a baby betta Boris, and i was told that babies should be fed twice a day.
I feed all my Bettas twice a day 3 pellets in the morning 2 at night.

Boris always acts like he is very hungry. He eats everything i give him, and never leaves leftovers...
Yep that describes every Betta young or old, Bettas are pigs when it comes to food and are shameless beggars, He is perfectly normal, I worry if one of my Bettas is not begging for food.

Bettas can eat duckweed

While Bettas can and do eat plants I doubt your Betta could eat 1 or 3 bits a day, certainly not enough to make a difference.

For those that have never seen a Betta eat plants watch this.

I feed all my Bettas twice a day 3 pellets in the morning 2 at night.

Yep that describes every Betta young or old, Bettas are pigs when it comes to food and are shameless beggars, He is perfectly normal, I worry if one of my Bettas is not begging for food.

While Bettas can and do eat plants I doubt your Betta could eat 1 or 3 bits a day, certainly not enough to make a difference.

For those that have never seen a Betta eat plants watch this.
Wow is it your tank? So many plants, very nice. Also, why don’t your bettas kill each other? Try feeding them some canned peaches, Boris goes crazy for peaches. Well, like almost for everything else he eats - pellets and dry worms.
I think my duckweed was mostly sucked in the filter.
I will try to wash it with tank’s water.

Wow is it your tank? So many plants, very nice. Also, why don’t your bettas kill each other?

They are Females.

This is them before I moved them to the big tank in my signature.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back