Floating plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mrscmurray

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd like to create a corner of the tank that has floating plants to create a bit more shade for the shy fish but the flow of the water pushes them around the tank. They end up wrapped around the top of the filter and heater in the opposite end of the tank to where I would like them!

Any ideas on how to get them to stay put?

You can get some airline tubing and create a circle with it and put the plants in the middle of it. The airline tubing should float, but if it doesn't you can always keep it in place with some suction clips.

Thanks nic, that's a nice idea. I was going to run some tubing around the tank with an air pump to create some extra aeration so maybe I can incorporate that into the design as I go

Floating plants do not like too much current,

I used a strip of foam instead of a airline to keep my plants away from my pump. The smallest plants like Duck Weed don't like current but it doesn't kill them. The larger ones should handle higher water flow levels even better.

I've used a broken stick in the past, you just lightly wedge it so it doesn't put excess pressure on the tank. Works wonders and looks natural.

You could have an ornament or a piece of driftwood with the plants attached, though you would probably prefer one of the other ideas. Really, it depends on personal preference.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back