Floating plants with lid on tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Carp92

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can I add floating plants in my 80 litres tank with cover ? Iā€™ve read a few articles were floating plants donā€™t really have a long life if the tank is covered with a lid due to condensation but I wanted to check if any of you have ever tried.
Thank you

If you do not have a lid, they could float right out of the tank.... :p

I can confirm what Brian said both re lids and filter output.

And I concur. Over 20+ years all my many tanks were covered and all had thick thriving floating plants. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, frogbit, Salvinia and duckweed,.

Same here, surface floating plants in all of my tanks. Dwarf water lettuce and duckweed in all of them, plus water hyacinth in my open top aquarium. The other two aquariums have lids.

They love the humidity and will do much better covered. The only other way to replicate the humidity they like is if the tank is in say, a sunroom during the summer. Many of our plants grow emersed in nature in high humidity conditions.

in my experience if a floating plant is not doing well it is because there is a nutrient (fertilizer) issue. When a plant can't get the minerals it need to grow plant growth slows or stops and the leaves may fall of or start rotting. Floating plants are often found in very humid and wet environment and rain often fall on the plants. Which is very similar to an aquarium with a lid.

This is a photo of my tank right now with salvinia red root floaters after I removed the lid

IMG_2772.jpeg

Having a lid on with floating plants is no problem at all. I first bought around 10 or 12 water lettuce for my 200 gallon aquarium with lid, and now they are multiplying like crazy, the whole top of the tank is covered with them. Just make sure you have enough room on the top of the tank for your floating plants to grow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back