Floating Plants (Uk)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
What are some nice floating plants that would work in a tank without CO2?  I have previously had duckweed (that is what those tiny leaves are called right?) but somehow accidentally eradicated it.  I would like something a little bit larger anyway and have no idea of the names of any floating plants to look into.

Water sprite is a beautiful undemanding plant. It can be floated or planted. I got a couple handfuls about 5 weeks ago, and now some of the plants are huge (larger than my palm) and have tripled in quantity.

I googled that... looks interesting.  I could possibly manage to anchor that somehow in a corner so it doesn't float away too. 

Amazon frogbit is a good one seems to grow well in my very basic set up

How big is Amazon frogbit?  I like the look of that, sort of lily pad looking.

Frogbit is up to about 2cm per leaf.

I think Livewire is selling some somewhere on here.

There's also Phyllanthus fluitans.

Where are you Prarie, I may be able to send you some of all 3 (although I've not got much frogbit and my Phyllanthus isn't all that red, water sprite I have tons of, it's growing out of the top of my tanks).

I'm in Greater London.

I shall look up the Phyllanthus fluitans too later after the school run.

I have gone and started with a few amazon frogbits which I got off ebay super cheap.  I bought 7 plants and my male honey gourami looooooves it.  He now usually sleeps on the leaves of one of my anubias to be under it (since it tends to drift to one corner).

I have also ordered water sprite that should arrive today... small plants but I plan on making more of a curtain with them when they grow making a bit more separations in my tank rather than floating them.

FYI, floating plants don't need c02, they gain their c02 from the air around us.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back