Floating plants. Rule of thumb for surface coverage percentage?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Is there a generally accepted max surface coverage area? I donā€™t want to be depriving the substrate plants from light and the Salvinas spreading very quickly.

Iā€™ve got Frogbit, Water Lettuce and Salvina at the moment. Salvias growing wildly. If I didnā€™t have it corralled into some airline rings the whole surface area would be covered. As it is Iā€™ve had to make an empty airline ring beneath the feeding flap already and the plants only went in three weeks ago.
My gut feeling is thereā€™s too much.
Ive searched back 30 pages in the plant section for info but couldnā€™t find any help. Any advice would be appreciated.

I keep anywhere from 50% (usually) all the way down to 20%. It all depends on how you want the tank to look, and how much shadow you want.

I grow Salvinia.

Is there a generally accepted max surface coverage area? I donā€™t want to be depriving the substrate plants from light and the Salvinas spreading very quickly.

Iā€™ve got Frogbit, Water Lettuce and Salvina at the moment. Salvias growing wildly. If I didnā€™t have it corralled into some airline rings the whole surface area would be covered. As it is Iā€™ve had to make an empty airline ring beneath the feeding flap already and the plants only went in three weeks ago.
My gut feeling is thereā€™s too much.
Ive searched back 30 pages in the plant section for info but couldnā€™t find any help. Any advice would be appreciated.
I think I'm probably 2 weeks behind you with this.. I threw a load of frogbit and salv in because i was getting impatient at creating some cover. Ive quite a bit of anubias that require lower light, however ive other plants that need more.. so when the inevitable happens and the whole surface is covered, I'll need to create some airline tubing rings of empty space above the areas that do need light, is what I'm thinking

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back