Floating Plants and Surface Scum

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So after hearing about the crazy benefits of floating plants they are now covering over 60% of my tank's surface. This has caused a slight issue with my surface skimmer that cannot clean the scum off anymore since the plants now block it from the scum.

Does anyone have any ideas for a solution here? I'm also noticing pockets of scum near the gaps of each floating plant.

Thanks!

Make a DIY separator if you want.
Use Aerator Tube / Pipette. Here's mine using bending plastic Pipette.

Attachments

• 15941441561545419009166321199094.jpg
    15941441561545419009166321199094.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 54
Make a DIY separator if you want.
Use Aerator Tube / Pipette. Here's mine using bending plastic Pipette.

I could do that, but I have too many plants to make an enclosure like this. The only other option would be to create some sort of barrier on the surface with straws to keep all the plants on one side of the tank, but wouldn't that also keep all the surface scum on that side too? Keep in mind I have a 75gallon tank.

I've tried several times to introduce duckweed into my tank - unfortunately it just gets sucked into the filter, and I don't know how because the filter sucky-in bit is well below the water line.

I've tried several times to introduce duckweed into my tank - unfortunately it just gets sucked into the filter, and I don't know how because the filter sucky-in bit is well below the water line.

I stay away from duckweed, it gets everywhere. Sometimes you'll find it in your cereal. JK.

How about this ? You can make it bigger if you want using Oxygen Aerator Tube and glue to make it circular & float.
Photo credit to @GirlsTalkFish Youtuber.
You can check her video.
images (13).jpeg

This seems to work for now, but we'll see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 11.39.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 11.39.17 AM.png
    948.9 KB · Views: 75

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back