Floating plant for fast current & some splashes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My frogbit has done terribly in both tanks. I do have quite a bit of flow along the surface & Aquaball filters really give a bit of splash too. My salvinia is even doing badly now.

Any advice about a floating plant that doesn't mind a bit of swirl & splash?

I just bought some giant Vallis for my taller tank but it was just one bulb with a few leaves. My nano Vallis didn't do well.

Hard water.

Water sprite? That one doesn't mind getting its leaves wet, though I don't know if it would cope with a lot of current.

Are you using liquid ferts?
I have frogbit in a splashy tank but it doesn't cope well with not enough nutrients.

I have alot of current .my salvinia wasn't doing to well swirling round the tank .so I stuck 2 suckercups to the front and back and attached a piece of thread between them .keeps all in place and there doing pretty well now

Attachments

• 20201112_192607.jpg
    20201112_192607.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 48
Are you using liquid ferts?
I have frogbit in a splashy tank but it doesn't cope well with not enough nutrients.

Yes using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. I got an invitro pot and it melted away. Then ordered from private seller and same. It just breaks up, disappears, or yellows.

It gathers in one section and I wonder is it getting enough light as it's in corner. Though I tried it in my smaller tank where defo plenty of light and still didn't do well. Really disappointed as I love the look of it.

Water sprite? That one doesn't mind getting its leaves wet, though I don't know if it would cope with a lot of current.

I'll have a look for that and try get some.

I have alot of current .my salvinia wasn't doing to well swirling round the tank .so I stuck 2 suckercups to the front and back and attached a piece of thread between them .keeps all in place and there doing pretty well now

Wow it's huge! I must try this. I was trying with the air tubing but it was wrecking my head. This might work though and there's still some salvinia left that it might just take off again.

Also omg you've practical waves!

I have water sprite for that exact reason. I wanted floating plants but I wanted something that could handle a current/surface agitation and not go flying everywhere, as well as just not be generally annoying during tank maintenance like I find most smaller floating plants. My water sprite has been growing like mad in my tank for months now. I throw some out every water change. I really like how the roots look when the plant has settled in - they hang down far into the water and I've been able to trim mine as I please with no ill effect on the plants.

Were you not in Ireland I'd happily send you some!

I have water sprite for that exact reason. I wanted floating plants but I wanted something that could handle a current/surface agitation and not go flying everywhere, as well as just not be generally annoying during tank maintenance like I find most smaller floating plants. My water sprite has been growing like mad in my tank for months now. I throw some out every water change. I really like how the roots look when the plant has settled in - they hang down far into the water and I've been able to trim mine as I please with no ill effect on the plants.

Were you not in Ireland I'd happily send you some!

Cheers :) I'll keep an eye out & try it. I ordered plants last week & they'd no floating plants at all. But the tank isn't going anywhere so there's time to find some.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back