floating java moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I want to make a floating java moss ball. I'm going to take a ping pong ball and tie some java moss on with fishing line. I'm going to tie the fishing line onto a stone so it will float in the middle of my tank. I found a ping pong ball and washed it in hot water. It has a logo on the front and I don't know if that could harm my fish. I will attach a picture. Could the logo rub off and harm my fish?

Attachments

• 2020-07-27 17.43.09.jpg
    2020-07-27 17.43.09.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 91
I have java moss to do this project but are there any websites with inexpensive java moss or any other type of moss? Thanks in advance. :)

I want to make a floating java moss ball. I'm going to take a ping pong ball and tie some java moss on with fishing line. I'm going to tie the fishing line onto a stone so it will float in the middle of my tank. I found a ping pong ball and washed it in hot water. It has a logo on the front and I don't know if that could harm my fish. I will attach a picture. Could the logo rub off and harm my fish?
Hmm. Maybe? I'd try covering the logo with some aquarium sealant, so the paint/dye/chemicals whatever can't leach out into the tank. I don't know whether that would make the ball too heavy to float though, you'd have to try and paint the sealant on in a thin layer and test it out.
Can't help you with plants in the US I'm afraid, but I bet others can.

Gotta say that I love your creativity though! That sounds like an awesome project and will look great. Love when people get creative with aquascaping ideas.

Ooohh, another tip, most superglue is aquarium safe (check the one you buy) and you might find it easier to superglue the moss to the ball, rather than fishing line. I wanted to go crazy just trying to tie anubius to a branch with fishing line, imagining trying to tie fishing line around a ball shape, with it slipping off all the time.. arrrghh!

You might also want to try coating a whole ping pong ball in a thin layer of sealant and testing whether it'll still float (I should think it will). Not sure what ping pong balls are made of and how it might degrade or leech in water.

Thank you! I will use superglue. I tried tieing java moss onto some driftwood and it went horribly until I used superglue. I will try to find some aquarium sealant too. Is that the same thing as aquarium safe silicone?

Thank you! I will use superglue. I tried tieing java moss onto some driftwood and it went horribly until I used superglue. I will try to find some aquarium sealant too. Is that the same thing as aquarium safe silicone?
Yep! Good luck, would love to see it when it's done!

I would just cover the logo in super glue. Most super glue (I know KRAZY glue is safe) is safe for aquarium usage.

I agree that supergluing it would be easier than typing thread/fishing line on it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back