Floating bottom or otherwise.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rockfella

Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to build a 36"L X 24"H x 16" tank with 10mm glass. The debate of putting the vertical glasses on top or sides is rather confusing. There are multiple commercial aquarium makers who have used both ways successfully for decades. Recently I saw a vid in which it was recommended to put the front and back panes on the side of the bottom glass and the side panels on top of the bottom glass.
Was wondering if that will sort of give me best of both worlds and it is recommended to still use a foam under the tank. I have a 1.5" thick gym mat that I can use.
Regards.

stick the side pieces of glass onto the outside of the base, not on top of the base.
Thanks. What silicon thickness seam do you recommend? I have to use the silicon injection method.

Thanks. What silicon thickness seam do you recommend? I have to use the silicon injection method.
No idea what the silicon injection method is/ means???

On a tank that is 3 foot long x 2 foot high, you want 1-2mm of silicon between the glass.

----------------------
Why do you do that. I have always sat the sides on the base.
Different people make tanks in different ways. I prefer to have the sides going onto the side of the base because it means the silicon isn't being squished out of the gaps by the weight of the glass. If you put the side panels on top of the base, 90% of the silicon gets pushed out and it doesn't always hold as well on bigger tanks.

No idea what the silicon injection method is/ means???
On a tank that is 3 foot long x 2 foot high, you want 1-2mm of silicon between the glass.
Got it 1-2 mm. It will be braced from the top too with a 12"x17" glass 10 mm glass.

Injection method:

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back