Floaters and filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
Finally found a place that sells floating plants! However I am running into a problem. I had to put my anarchis in the substrate because it kept getting sucked up, now I could have tied it but I don't like string in my tank (it just bugs me, idk). Now you can't tie floaters so what do I do so that they won't get sucked up and spit out by my filter?

Make a ring around the filter out of airline tubing :) Or coral the floating plants to one side of the tank using airline tubing, you can hold it in place by gluing or tying the ends to suction cups. Lots of DIY tutorials on youtube or online, and @ClownLurch is the creator of the clown of thorns.... ;) I'm sure he could advise!

I keep meaning to do this myself, but still haven't got around to it.

Make a ring around the filter out of airline tubing :) Or coral the floating plants to one side of the tank using airline tubing, you can hold it in place by gluing or tying the ends to suction cups. Lots of DIY tutorials on youtube or online, and @ClownLurch is the creator of the clown of thorns.... ;) I'm sure he could advise!

Genius!

Itā€™s an old trick in general but Iā€™m claiming the clown of thorns thing as mine.
I binned all my salvina today, itā€™s driving me nuts. Iā€™ve now got a clown of thorns, frogbit ring and water lettuce ring. Gonna get some more of each this week, no more salvina, ever.
I was gonna make the whole surface area an air line grid today but catching our bullying guppy took ages. I ended up taking 90% of plants out to get him. Heā€™s in solitary for a couple of weeks then the old boy on the corner will take him if our main tank seems happier. It already does. Plus I donā€™t fancy taking the tank to pieces to catch him again if heā€™s allowed back and acts up again.

Whats the prettiest floater in your alls opinion. Theyve got all sorts here, I'd also be willing to order some if there are any that have tinges of other colors.

Woah thats awesome! Is it hard to grow?
Yeh, although its not strictly a floating plant.. is a stem plant that you plant into the substrate and the leaves fan out across the surface. Doesn't need co2 injection and gets plenty of light from being on the surface. Would appreciate a root tab though

Yeh, although its not strictly a floating plant.. is a stem plant that you plant into the substrate and the leaves fan out across the surface. Doesn't need co2 injection and gets plenty of light from being on the surface. Would appreciate a root tab though
Well if its ever in stock I'll get some, its really cool

Most reactions

Back