Floater plant question?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello why do my floaters grow but some die and brown Iā€™m confused.

What floating plant species? And can you post a photo?

Floating plants need light and nutrients; being fast growing they need a good supply. I have had browning leaves on floating plants occur from the too intense light, but usually from insufficient nutrients.

What floating plant species? And can you post a photo?

Floating plants need light and nutrients; being fast growing they need a good supply. I have had browning leaves on floating plants occur from the too intense light, but usually from insufficient nutrients.
Species
(Salvinia Oblongifolia)
it doesnā€™t happen to my other floaters

Species
(Salvinia Oblongifolia)
it doesnā€™t happen to my other floaters

A photo might tell us more, but I can say that I have experienced what I think you described on my Salvinia. I have seen suggestions that it is due to a tank cover, or to splashing moisture, but these are not the issue. It is back to light or nutrients. Floaters are fast growing, and this means a continuous supply of nutrients. Are you using any liquid fertilizers?

A photo might tell us more, but I can say that I have experienced what I think you described on my Salvinia. I have seen suggestions that it is due to a tank cover, or to splashing moisture, but these are not the issue. It is back to light or nutrients. Floaters are fast growing, and this means a continuous supply of nutrients. Are you using any liquid fertilizers?
Iā€™ve been trying to send photos and it doesnā€™t work

Yes, I've had that. Are you using any liquid fertilizers?

Yes, I've had that. Are you using any liquid fertilizers?
Yes and no I have before like twice Iā€™m stilling trying to figure out how much I should dose the tank as I only have floaters, guppy grass And java moss

edit: I used Seachem flourish

Yes and no I have before like twice Iā€™m stilling trying to figure out how much I should dose the tank as I only have floaters, guppy grass And java moss

edit: I used Seachem flourish

Good on the fertilizer assuming this is the comprehensive, Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. No more than the recommended dose.

I would remove the obviously dead/dying bits, I used to do this at every water change.

Forfloating plant light and CO2 doesn't mater. outside daylight at noon is fare higher than the light in any aquarium. Up to 20,000 lumens. Additionally Salvinia extracts C)@ from the air above the plant not the water below. This means the lively cause of your problem is nutrient levels in the water (Nitrogen ,potassium, Calcium, Magnesiun, phosphate, Sulfur, Chlorine,, Iron, manganese, Boron, Zinc, Copper, mOlybdenum,, and nickel). If any one is missing you floating plants will look exactly like your photo and may eventually die out. Fertilizing the water is the easy answer but that is not exactly easy. Many fertilizers Depend on your water having some of the nutrients plants need. In fact I haven't found any after a comprehensive search. Also Many fertilizer manufactures appear to be mostly guessing on home much of each nutrient plants need. The End result is that you must do water changes, and fertilizer dosing typically works best when dosed in small amounts one per day. Each tank is different so so you often need to try various things to find a solution that works. In my case I ended up making my own fertilizer

If you get it right you get this:
56BCB831-7CCA-4490-A31D-CD1556FAC0D2_1_105_c.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back