Flasher Wrasse Frayed Fins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
Over the last few days I have noticed my flasher wrasses caudal fin has become frayed slightly on the end. Over night it has got a bit worse with the fraying going almost half way into the fin. I've had trouble with my female Clarkii Clownfish before as it bit my Bangaii Cardinalfishes fins to nothing but I have not seen any attacks on the wrasse and it's not as bad and also the wrasse is a much less timid fish.

The fish seems to acting normally maybe not swimming about as much as normal.

Only things that have changed over the last week or so is that I added a Coral Beauty and it died (presumed something wrong with the fish) and I added a replacement one and that's doing fine. Anyway also this week I have been boosting Ca, Mg and Alk, I've used JBL MagnesiuMarin, Kent Liquid Calcium and Bicarbonate of Soda.

All parameters seem to be fine and pH is 7.8 as of yesterday, it's usually around 8.0 but this may be due to adding Sodium Bicarbonate yesterday.

Anyone know what has happened? I will try and get a picture when the light comes on providing the fish is not charging around the tank like normal.

Has the coral beauty had a go at him Luke??

Don't think so all I have seen the coral beauty do is swim in and out of rocks and peck at algae. Haven't actually even seen it interact with other fish. It also likes getting cleaned by the cleaner shrimp but that's about it.

The Flasher Wrasse seems to be sticking to one side of the tank atm and blenny has been near him but nothing has happened.

Well I tried taking one in the dark wouldn't focus and I've switched the light on and the wrasse has started acting normal so is swimming too fast and avoiding the camera.

Found some pictures of yesterday that I put on my topic they show it a little bit (it's worse today):

SN850615.jpg

SN850597.jpg

Just got some good shots using a high ISO (silly me).

BTW my coral beauty has been quite near my wrasse and there's been in interaction.

Here's the good photos:

SN850642.jpg

SN850641.jpg

SN850640.jpg

SN850639.jpg

SN850638.jpg

Pretty sure it's my female Clarkii Clown again. Pretty sure I just saw her charge a the flasher and nip its fins. Looks like I'm going to have to get rid of her and probably her male.

Do you think I should just get rid of the female or do you think that when the male turns into a female he'll do the same thing?

Clowns would be top of my list luke but keep an eye on the bi colour blenny..very defensive of their tunnels..
I know mine is a little terror when it takes the notion...it hounded my flymo to death and often stands up to even the tangs and the flame

Clowns would be top of my list luke but keep an eye on the bi colour blenny..very defensive of their tunnels..
I know mine is a little terror when it takes the notion...it hounded my flymo to death and often stands up to even the tangs and the flame

Blenny is fine with other fish and doesn't actually have a specific tunnel, just a few different spots in the tank where he likes sitting and sleeping.

Going to have to get rid of the female clown. Do you think I should get rid of the male as well or keep him and see if he is fine? I know for sure he's not the one doing it as it's always the female with the aggression.

If I get rid of both I guess I will get some percs although I got clarkiis because I didn't really like percs that much.

just noticed when reading on rf..if happening at night time any chance of a hitch hiker crab being in there..disturbing it when asleep??

just noticed when reading on rf..if happening at night time any chance of a hitch hiker crab being in there..disturbing it when asleep??

Well I saw the clownfish attacking the wrasse earlier and she did the same thing with my carindalfish but much worse. The mithrax crab I have in there is extremely shy and if it sees any movement out of tank or anything it would run away and to be honest I'm not sure if it even comes out of the rock as I've ever only seen it in the right hand section of my tank.

Mithrax should be fine but very often young crabs, shrimp, etc hitch hike in on our live rock, only coming out to cause havoc at night...most of us have had at least one little unwanted freebie...
Check with a red light late at night for signs of these little monsters scuttling over or into your rockwork

Keep a close eye on them for any definate signs of being the culprits i'd say..fact it seems to be happening at nights mainly is what looks to me that they may not be responsible

Keep a close eye on them for any definate signs of being the culprits i'd say..fact it seems to be happening at nights mainly is what looks to me that they may not be responsible

Ok yeah I think you have a point since I've actually only seen it happen once in a few hours.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back