Flame Dwarf Gourami Chasing Blue Neon Dwarf Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Madness13

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So about a week ago, I bought a Flame Dwarf Gourami (female) and a Blue Neon Dwarf Gourami (male). The female flame keeps chasing the poor male. It's not terrible aggression, but she spots him, makes a run for him and that's that. There's no damage and I have seen them swimming next to each other without fighting (until she randomly turns around and tells him off).

I haven't had very good experiences with any sort of Gourami so far... should I take both back, or just leave one in?

Are you sure its a female?

Dwarf gourami's are highly territorial against similar species - especially other dwarf gouramis. 

How much cover and hiding places do you have? 

If it were me, I'd keep the one that I like the best, and return the other. 

She's definitely a female (she has a rounded dorsel fin and the male has a pointed dorsel fin).

Here's a pic of my setup (Fluval Roma 125). I actually added another 2 plants yesterday, so it's pretty heavily plants at the moment.

28k12rd.jpg

i find the flame to be more aggressive then the blue. i would recommend returning the flame.
it'll stress the blue, it'll most likely stop eating and die.

It's strange because neither of them hide. The blue gourami has now started fighting back. It's not vicious fighting but they almost circle each other, randomly nip and then chase a little. They were eating the same algae wafer earlier.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back