Fixing Juwel Light Bar.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi Doresy,you are a life saver and i'd just like to say thankyou for spending the time to make this journal for everyone experiancing the same problem as you did.I too have just had my light unit pack up on me and have cut out the section of plastic from the unit and removed the old ballast unit.I've now recieved my new ballast and like yours it only has 6 pins.in fact i think it may be the same ballast as you have coz the diagram in your picture is the same.Now the problem i'm having is not knowing what wires go where and what wires to join up.I've tried to work it from your photo but can't quite do it.so being a nice person that you are i was wondering if you could let me know how you wired yours.PLEASE!!!

Many Thanks

Carpaddict

Hi Doresy,you are a life saver and i'd just like to say thankyou for spending the time to make this journal for everyone experiancing the same problem as you did.I too have just had my light unit pack up on me and have cut out the section of plastic from the unit and removed the old ballast unit.I've now recieved my new ballast and like yours it only has 6 pins.in fact i think it may be the same ballast as you have coz the diagram in your picture is the same.Now the problem i'm having is not knowing what wires go where and what wires to join up.I've tried to work it from your photo but can't quite do it.so being a nice person that you are i was wondering if you could let me know how you wired yours.PLEASE!!!

Many Thanks

Carpaddict

Thanks and I have sent you a PM with required help. PM me if further help needed but post here your results for others to see :good:

Glad some of you are getting some mileage out of this artical :good:

My own unit is still going strong dispite being almost completely waterlogged daily by condensation! :crazy:

Having been made redundant last week I should be collecting light bars and re-conditioning them :lol: mind you, would have to go some to pay the mortgage :look:

Dont suppose you fancy having a go at mine? i live in portsmouth.

- i dont know what balast i need for a rio 180!

Glad some of you are getting some mileage out of this artical :good:

My own unit is still going strong dispite being almost completely waterlogged daily by condensation! :crazy:

Having been made redundant last week I should be collecting light bars and re-conditioning them :lol: mind you, would have to go some to pay the mortgage :look:

Dont suppose you fancy having a go at mine? i live in portsmouth.

- i dont know what balast i need for a rio 180!

Hi...maybe but I am back to work now. What wattage and length are your tubes? I think they are 2x 30w (100 cm)

Really useful post, I have a small problem though. I have my replacement ballast which has 8 inputs like the ones pictured but I only have 3 wires in my light bar and the ballast is not enclosed, it is just a circuit board with the live and neutral and then 3 non identified connections at the other end (I'll grab a photo later)

It looks like I may have a really early juwel unit where the ballast connects direct to both lamps. Following the layout of the wirs in the photos I seem to have 2 wires in place of the 4 running off to the left which connect to the lines with no lamps marked(power lines perhaps) and then 1 wire running down to the other end in place of 4. I am wondering if I can split that one wire into the 4 lamp connections and split the power lines in 2 as per the photo? I went through the top of my bar before seeing this post so I am keen not to have to cut out too much more but if neccessary I could look at the wiring in the ends.

Cheers

Iain

Really useful post, I have a small problem though. I have my replacement ballast which has 8 inputs like the ones pictured but I only have 3 wires in my light bar and the ballast is not enclosed, it is just a circuit board with the live and neutral and then 3 non identified connections at the other end (I'll grab a photo later)

It looks like I may have a really early juwel unit where the ballast connects direct to both lamps. Following the layout of the wirs in the photos I seem to have 2 wires in place of the 4 running off to the left which connect to the lines with no lamps marked(power lines perhaps) and then 1 wire running down to the other end in place of 4. I am wondering if I can split that one wire into the 4 lamp connections and split the power lines in 2 as per the photo? I went through the top of my bar before seeing this post so I am keen not to have to cut out too much more but if neccessary I could look at the wiring in the ends.

Cheers

Iain

that sounds similar to the ballast thats in mine. ive just ordered a replacement of the same ballast from city electrical factors saves messing cost 24 + vat

Cheers

Iain

that sounds similar to the ballast thats in mine. I've just ordered a replacement of the same ballast from city electrical factors saves messing cost 24 + vat

Excellent, do you have a part number, url I can go to, as I can't get the one I ordered to work!

Cheers

Iain

Unfortunately I'm now having to use this guide in order to fix the same ballast (2x18w) :(.

Very helpful though.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this post but I want to thank the original poster so "thanks". If it had not been for this post I would never have attempted a repair, I would have forked out the £60 being asked for the light unit on my Trigon 190.

When I cut into the unit I found the Ballast badly burnt out and very smelly, this was a little worrying but no harm was done.

I followed the instuctions carefully, I could only get a 2x18 watt unit that was nothing like the original so I had to follow the wiring diagram carefully and worked it out first time.

It cost:-

Ballast £7 from ebay, £3 postage
Small modeling rotary saw £0 (scrounged from a friend)
Perspex £0 (scrounged from the same friend)
Tennon saw to cut the perspex £0 (scrounged from my dad)
Masking tape, to stop the perspex shattering £1
Tube of glue £1

So all together £12 and a few hours work.

Excellent article and once again thanks.

im so glad i came on here and seen your very useful write up, my lighting system has just gone and i thought it was going to cost me alot of money, but now ive read this it does,nt look like it is going to, thank you very much for sharing this with us im very grateful, thank you.xx claire :good:

I will probably be trying this soon, as I just bought a 2nd hand tank with duff lights, I checked the plug/switch/etc. and it only turns on every now and then.

With regards to the difference between T8 and T5? The orange sticker on my unit says ta 25/ 50Hz / 240- / 2 x 18 W / GB

Does this help in finding out T5 or T8?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tridonic-2-x-18w-T8-...bayphotohosting

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
are they fat tubes or skinny tubes? if there fat tunes then u have t8s, if they skinny tubes then they are t5s.

Hi,

I've recently bought a used Juwel Tank (Rio 180) and 2 days later the light bar packed up:( I've tried the tubes but I think the ballast has gone. Ebay has supplied a replacement but its a 6 plug version and not being a sparky I would just like to check my connections with anyone who has successfully repaired one of these before I plug it in!
With reference to the pics (the one with 9,10,11,12 etc being the replacement unit) below I figure it's:
1 to 12
2 connected to 7
3 to 14
4 to 13
5 to 10
6 to 9
7 connected to 2
8 to 11.
I must admit wiring is not one of my strong point! :blush:

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• new_2.JPG
    new_2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 264
  • old_2.JPG
    old_2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 257
Hi all,

I was given the ultimatum of fix it or buy a new one so I wired it in and turned the switch ...... it works!!
Thanks for the original post, saved me £70!

Cheers
Jim

This could be the solution to my problem.

The lights come on for a few seconds then go off, I am not sure why this is happening.

I will try changing the ballast

Thanks it seems like a really good guide

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back