Fissidens Splachnobryoides

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this plant? Ive been concidering it as a carpet for my low light tank :)

Anyone have any experience with this plant? Ive been concidering it as a carpet for my low light tank :)

I've been doing some reading, and I don't think Fissidens splachnobryoides is the species for you. The problem with brand new plants is that they immediately go on sale without proper research being done on its care, and for very high prices. There is debate as to whether or not Fissidens splachnobryoides is actually even an aquatic moss. There have been reports of it dying after being submerged, or it takes an extremely long time for it to become acclimated to a submerged environment. While this happens, you have brown moss on your wood or a brown moss carpet. Based on what I read, the growth is supposedly extremely slow. If you want to opt for a moss carpet, which is a wonderful idea, I suggest one of the more tried-and-true aquatic species, like java moss, willow moss, or christmas moss, eventhough it is technically not aquatic. It just seems to me an expensive investment on something that could fail. Mosses are a very interesting part of the hobby. There are many species, but many of them are labeled incorrectly and some can only be distinguished under a microscope.

llj

I bought some Fissidens zippelianus and its much happier out of the water than in. I think it would be possible to grow it in the water, but only w/ very high lighting and even then its most likely going to be very slow growing. Mine didn't grow didn't die for 2 months in my tank w/ medium lighing and CO2. Its now growing happily out of the water.

If you want a interesting foreground plant I suggest round pellia, but not too sure how it will do in low light. I like the look of mine, it just grows slow and takes forever to attach itself to anything.

I also read about it not being fully aquatic, thanks for verifying :) I think ill go for taiwan moss or another better known species. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back