Fishy Ideas - How Does This Sound?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:( well what can I do - no one will ever take them - this you must realise. The rainbow fish I can increase to 5 (5x3 in = 15in) and the 3 albino barbs (2in x 3 = 6in) so that's 21in and I have 26 in of space. I understand boesemani fish are fine with these bottom dwellers and blue rams can easily hold their own against the barbs. My tank started with 7 albino barbs but most died as have many times before - barbs aren't the greatest of fish.

fishyfish890 said:
sad.png
well what can I do - no one will ever take them - this you must realise. The rainbow fish I can increase to 5 (5x3 in = 15in) and the 3 albino barbs (2in x 3 = 6in) so that's 21in and I have 26 in of space. I understand boesemani fish are fine with these bottom dwellers and blue rams can easily hold their own against the barbs. My tank started with 7 albino barbs but most died as have many times before - barbs aren't the greatest of fish.

I do understand the issues, but I feel obligated to give you the best advice I can, whatever it may entail.  So you are not going to get me to agree to rams in this tank.  Increasing the rainbows to five is still not the best option, but I believe they will be the better for it, and with diligent maintenance they should be OK.  Perhaps you can give away the Albino Tiger Barbs; I certainly would not increase them, as it takes a much larger group and these fish have their issues that will only make things more difficult.  And with the rainbows there is not sufficient space for more of the barbs.

fishyfish890 said:
So 5 rainbow fish and 3 barbs are too much?

I think you may still not be picking up on the importance of numbers for shoaling fish.  The number of fish that a given aquarium can safely contain involves the number of fish itself in relation to the water volume, but it also involves the species and how many they need and how they may react with fewer.

The rainbows need at least five to function at their best.  And five of the Bosemani rainbow is going to be a bit crowded in a 30g tank as these are not small fish and they are active swimmers.  But as you have three, and want them, I would get two more and then be diligent with regular maintenance and not overfeeding and it should be OK.

The Albino Tiger Barbs should have 8, preferably more, and these should be in a 30g on their own (no other fish).  With other fish, they should have more space.  Again, to be at their best.

Byron.

Well many thanks, Byron I'll add two more rainbows. I do want the best but no one will take the barbs so I just live with what I've got.

fishyfish890 said:
Well many thanks, Byron I'll add two more rainbows. I do want the best but no one will take the barbs so I just live with what I've got.

Yes, that would be my thinking.  Keep an eye on them, and if they start getting nippy toward the rainbows, they will have to come out.  Given the circumstances, if they get nippy towards each other, I would leave it.  You really don't want to make things worse by getting more of them.

Hi again the barbs have never nipped them - perhaps it's cause their larger and faster

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back