Fishy Ideas - How Does This Sound?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishyfish890

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Would 2 golden rams get on fine?
Also how would they fare with some rainbow fish and tiger barbs thx?

Fishyfish890

Male and female could work, its a matter of luck. Rainbow fish prefer harder alkaline water whereas rams do best in soft acidic conditions.

If your water is soft which it should be for rams I would try praecox rainbows.I personally wouldn't add the barbs though.

I currently have 3 rainbow fish and 3 albino barbs
Is there any fish other than more of the same u can suggest?

Both these fish are shoaling fish, meaning that they live in large groups and must have a group to be less stressed and thus healthier.  Too small a group has other issues too.

For the rainbows, a group of at least six is better, though we don't have the exact species.  The Albino Tiger Barbs are notorious for their aggressive tendency, fin nipping and such, and they should have a much larger group, say 8 or more.  But here you run into other issues.

Cichlids are sedate fish, and frequently become the targets of nippy fish like barbs.  Plus, we don't know the rainbow species, and if one of the larger, it may not have sufficient space here.  I would certainly remove the barbs.

To the rams, we first need to resolve the above issues, and know the water hardness.  Beyond this, rams have a feisty temperament too, and in this small a tank (it is small to the fish if not to you) a pair will only work if it is a male/female pair that has accepted each other and bonded.

Byron.

fishyfish890 said:
Ok Byron any other fish than rams?

We cannot suggest other fish until we know the rainbow species, and if you intend to make changes.  At the moment, any other fish (aside from more of what is already present) is a risk to the fish and that none of us want.

fishyfish890 said:
Boesemani.

Ah, well, this rather limits your options.  This fish can become skittish in small numbers, and at least five or six are suggested.  Your tank is 120 litres (roughly 30 gallons), and I would assume maybe 90cm (36 inches) length, perhaps less.  This is going to be full with a proper sized group of Boesemani Rainbowfish.  And aside from that, rams would not be a good match with this active fish.

fishyfish890 said:
Can different species of rainbow mix?

I assume you are thinking of adding different rainbows to make up the numbers, so the answer is no.  But as for different species of rainbowfish getting along, generally yes.  In a larger tank you could have more than one species of rainbow, though you have to watch the water parameters as some are soft water and some moderately hard water fish.

The issue with numbers of a species, what we term shoaling fish (some call these schooling fish, a bit different technical meaning but the same principle), is primarily one of security.  These fish have evolved to live in large numbers, and they expect this.  Some species have hierarchies within the group.  Others may have territorial/aggressive issues that need more of the species to avoid some getting bullied and picked on.  Studies have now proven that when shoaling fish are in small numbers, below six, their aggressiveness increases.  This is undoubtedly the fish's response to a very frustrating situation.  The fish in the aquarium cannot move away from problems like it might in the natural habitat, so it either accepts things or it fights back.  Whichever response the fish chooses, it adds stress which weakens the immune system and the fish will usually succumb to various health problems that it would ordinarily be able to fight off if not stressed by the insufficient numbers.  Small physical space, as in too small a tank, also causes the same reaction in fish, which should not be surprising.  So, the bottom line is, that if one want their fish to be "happy," normal and healthy, and exhibit natural behaviours, one must understand what is required and provide it.

Byron.

Byron said:
Can different species of rainbow mix?

I assume you are thinking of adding different rainbows to make up the numbers, so the answer is no.  But as for different species of rainbowfish getting along, generally yes.  In a larger tank you could have more than one species of rainbow, though you have to watch the water parameters as some are soft water and some moderately hard water fish.

The issue with numbers of a species, what we term shoaling fish (some call these schooling fish, a bit different technical meaning but the same principle), is primarily one of security.  These fish have evolved to live in large numbers, and they expect this.  Some species have hierarchies within the group.  Others may have territorial/aggressive issues that need more of the species to avoid some getting bullied and picked on.  Studies have now proven that when shoaling fish are in small numbers, below six, their aggressiveness increases.  This is undoubtedly the fish's response to a very frustrating situation.  The fish in the aquarium cannot move away from problems like it might in the natural habitat, so it either accepts things or it fights back.  Whichever response the fish chooses, it adds stress which weakens the immune system and the fish will usually succumb to various health problems that it would ordinarily be able to fight off if not stressed by the insufficient numbers.  Small physical space, as in too small a tank, also causes the same reaction in fish, which should not be surprising.  So, the bottom line is, that if one want their fish to be "happy," normal and healthy, and exhibit natural behaviours, one must understand what is required and provide it.

Byron.
So how does this sound:

- 5 rainbows
- 2 blue rams
- 3 or 5 albino tiger barbs

You do not have space in this 120 litre (30 gallon) tank for all this as I said previously.  I would increase the rainbows, so they have a more natural situation for their benefit, this is only fair to the poor fish.  But not the albinos, and frankly I would re-home them (= remove them from this tank); this species needs a much higher number, and there is no room for this with the rainbows.  Definitely do not add rams, this is not going to work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back