Fishless cycling with used filter media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MattL

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya,

Firstly i wouldnt really consider myself a newbie anymore, though i know i got lots to learn.

I have just bought a new tank for my betta (30L), its quite a big tank for just him, but hes my fave so i can justify it!

Tank has been setup for a couple of days now and dechlorinated etc. I have upped the temperature and put in a some used filter media to the new filter. Can i add my betta now? Obviously i need to test it first, but theres not going to be any ammonia in there yet anyway is there? I put in a couple of flakes to try and kick things off but im not too sure how to play it now?

Has anybody got any ideas on the next step??

Its only going to have my fighter in there and maybe a couple of ottos a few weeks down the line.

Matt

If you'd put used gravel and filter media, plus some used tank water, I'd say that was a cycled tank (since the cycling occurs in the gravel and filter in the main). However, since you've only transplated the filter you still need the bacteria to colonise your gravel. I'd "feed" the bacteria for a week or so and keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Then add fish.

It's a little bit based on gut instinct and experience this kind of judgement and it's difficult to judge without seeing it. However, I confess I did "instantly cycle" a tank today by moving my Fluval 2 from the main tank and 50% of the water is from the main tank. However, there's only one fish in there and the Fluval 2 is somewhat over-kill for a 5 gal tank that isn't even full.

Hmm tempted to do an early water change on my setup tank now so i can pinch some water. Think i will resist the temptation and stress to my fishies and wait until at least next due water change.

What shall i feed my new bacteria pets on? I would use pure ammonia if i knew where to get it. Failing that will putting fishy flakes in it do the job? Or other fish foods?

Thanks for your rapid reply!

Matt

:rolleyes:

MattL said:
What shall i feed my new bacteria pets on? I would use pure ammonia if i knew where to get it. Failing that will putting fishy flakes in it do the job? Or other fish foods?
Well, I've seem suggestions to use a couple of drops of urine. Personally I don't have a problem with that (then again, I used to be a nurse). Otherwise you could pinch some "processed fish food" from your other aquarium (I mean fish poop), some dead or dying plant trimmings or some food (although that might take an age to "compost" if the bacteria aren't present in the water). It's very similar to composting actually, which is another one of my hobbies :lol:

Just don't do what one idiot did on another group I was on - he'd heard about the urine thing and he'd had a few too many one night and he was nearer the tank than the bathroom and... well, suffice to say he had ammonia levels off the scale for about a month!

I had considered the urine option, so i was up late last night searching the internet for ammonia content in urine!! Apparantly its v v low so we shall see. Whichever way i go about it, im sure i will think of something.

I had better stay off the booze tho just in case :)

Thanks alot AA, you been a great help!

:p :p :p :p

In warm water the urea in urine quickly breaks down into ammonia - I have had proof positive of this from emptying bedpans that accidently got left by the radiator (and that was in the good old days of the NHS) :sick:

Fresh urine is low in ammonia.

What shall i feed my new bacteria pets on? I would use pure ammonia if i knew where to get it.

Taken from a link from my sig.

Ammonia used should be free of surfactants, perfumes, and colourants. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to ACS grade ammonium hydroxide. Always read the ingredients on the bottle. The best sources for Pure or Clear Ammonia are discount grocery stores or hardware stores. Often, the no-name brand is the stuff you're looking for. Some other people have reported success with the following brand names of ammonia: Top Crest or Whirl Clear Ammonia. To paraphrase RTR: If it doesn't list the ingredients, or say Clear Ammonia (or Pure Ammonia or 100% Ammonia, or Pure Ammonium Hydroxide), then leave it on the shelf and look elsewhere. Shake the bottle if you're not sure about it... ammonia with surfactants will foam, while good ammonia will not.

Dont mean to be rude, which part where you trying to draw my attention to? The brand names or the bit about using only pure ammonia?

Thanks

Matt

P.S i have read the links in your signature a few times now :) im gonna wack em in my sig as well. cant have too many people advertising it :)

MattL said:
Dont mean to be rude, which part where you trying to draw my attention to? The brand names or the bit about using only pure ammonia?

Thanks

Matt

P.S i have read the links in your signature a few times now :) im gonna wack em in my sig as well. cant have too many people advertising it :)
I was trying to show what type of ammonia is good since there are differences in what can/can't be used.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

P.S i have read the links in your signature a few times now im gonna wack em in my sig as well. cant have too many people advertising it

A fishless cycling forum, I like it. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back