Fishless Cycling Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rhapsody

Reaction score
Okay dumb question here...
I started (fishless) cycling my ten gallon five days ago. I've been trying to keep from being obsessive and testing my water every few hours. :p

My ammonia has gone down to about .25 ppm (it was originally close to 6.0) and I'm getting a nitrAte reading of 20 ppm. At the same time I am getting no nitrIte reading at all. Granted, the nitrite reading is a little more difficult to see than the others so I could just be misreading it.

I guess I was just wondering if this was normal? The cycle is still just started (I did put some of the gravel from my betta tanks in a sock in the tank to help it though.) I'm still not expecting to have the cycle done anytime soon...I was just surprised to be getting nitrate readings and seeing the ammonia level go down without signs of nitrite.

I'll watch it a little closer in the next few days to see if the nitrite reading rises. I guess I was just curious if this is typical.

Sometimes the nitrite phase can go so quickly you miss it, but provided your tests read ammonia and nitrite at zero, and nitrate increasing, you can relax that the tank is completely cycled.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back