Fishless Cycling, nitrite spike

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One thing has been confusing me what does a nitrite spike look like, how high in PPM does it have to be? The only spike I've had is it went up to 0.25 PPM then back down to 0 the next day. Right now it's still 0PPM so...

Yes it's spiked and gone down to 0 you have cycled the tank, don't no how high the nitrite spike is it differs from tank to tank.

What are the current ammonia levels? Have they gone down at all yet? How much ammonia have you added to the tank and when?

Generally, you'll see the nitrite spike when the ammonia portion of the cycle picks up steam. In my experience, that usually happens between about days 5 and 10.

Sounds like you're on track and doing fine. Just have patience! :thumbs:

I think just to make sure I'll add more ammonia as normal today then see wheat happens in 24 hours then I'll know what to do.. Right now my ammonia is at 4PPM perhaps a little less. Any ideas or just keep going with the flow. :p

Oh yah, the questions.. well the 1st day I screwed up and added 225 drops because I thought it ment 5ml per 10 gallons so I ended up with 15ml and and reading of 8PPM the next day.. Then a couple days later I changed some of the water then the reading the next day was 1.5. The nitrite reading appeared before the water changed. Today which is my 6th day of cycling I have a reading of little less than 4ppm for ammonia. 0ppm nitrite and 0-2 Nitrate.

Also I've been adding 15-18 drops now since I fixed my screw up and its been around 4-5PPM everyday. Thats about it...

No I haven't I started this tank off fresh everything brand new. I used to have tanks but I haven't had an aquarium in a while so I had to start with everything brand spanking new.

There is no problem with what youre doing.

if you would have been able to seed the tank, it just cuts down the time frame.

one thing- take readings before adding the ammo, then again after you add it and its had a little time to circulate around. If you always took a reading right after adding ammo, it'll never hit 0. Doing it before and after you'll be able to verify that you are adding the right ammount, and then you'll be able to see how much ammo your bacteria is breaking down over the course of the day (or half day, or whatever interval you are adding the ammo over).

The level of nitrite spike is dependant on a lot of factors. If you understand the process of two forms of bacteria, it can basically be looked at as how much faster did the ammo eating bacteria grow than the nitrITE eating bacteria grow.

6 days isn't (probably) enough to see a nitrite spike unless the tank was jumpstarted by other bacteria from another tank. And depending on the level of bacteria seeded, if you would have been lucky enough to have a source to seed your tank, you might not ever see a spike.

I've been taking readings before I add the ammonia and about an hour afterwards.

In my new 4gal tank (for ADFs) I had my first hint of nitrites (0.25) on day 4. Had a spike of about 2 today, which is day 6. Don't think it will get much higher than this.

I don't know if this is weird or not but my Nitrates are now up to 5ppm from 0-2 but nitrite and ammonia levels are the same today..

Sounding great.

Yes your nitrates have to rise, you haven't got long by the sound of the test results.

When should I stop adding ammonia, today I didn't add any because it's still around 4ppm for ammonia. You can see my results for today in my signature. Also when will I know cycling is complete I know its when nitrite and ammonia readings are zero but when should I stop adding ammonia. I had one day with nitrite at .25ppm then it went back down to zero the next day.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back