FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishkeeperbeginner

Reaction score
Hello!
I started my fishless cycling process about 2 weeks ago. I added the right amount of Dr Tims ammonia to my 8G tank. I’m also adding nitrifying bacteria every so often too. The ammonia reading is about 3.0ppm and my nitrite is around 2.0ppm . Does this mean the cycling is working? And if so how long does it take roughly with nitrifying bacteria for the ammonia to get to 0ppm?
Thanks!

Hi, I'm just coming towards the end of my fishless cycle, using Dr Tims Ammonia and Dr Tims Bacteria in a 64L.
It took me 16 days to get my first Ammonia reading of zero.
Sure someone with more experience than me will advise you about the rest of your query.

Hi, I'm just coming towards the end of my fishless cycle, using Dr Tims Ammonia and Dr Tims Bacteria in a 64L.
It took me 16 days to get my first Ammonia reading of zero.
Sure someone with more experience than me will advise you about the rest of your query.
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it! 👍🏼

Hello!
I started my fishless cycling process about 2 weeks ago. I added the right amount of Dr Tims ammonia to my 8G tank. I’m also adding nitrifying bacteria every so often too. The ammonia reading is about 3.0ppm and my nitrite is around 2.0ppm . Does this mean the cycling is working? And if so how long does it take roughly with nitrifying bacteria for the ammonia to get to 0ppm?
Thanks!
You're doing better than me. I'm at about 2 weeks and I don't have a hint of nitrite yet in my 55 gallon. Also spiked with Dr Tims to about 1.0 - 2.0 ppm in my 55 gallon tank. Using Seachem Stability every day as well as Brightwells Aquatics MicroBacterStart XLF. I know I just have to be patient but I'd give $100 to see just a hint of purple in that nitrite test tube.

Good luck and it won't be long for you now I'm sure!

You're doing better than me. I'm at about 2 weeks and I don't have a hint of nitrite yet in my 55 gallon. Also spiked with Dr Tims to about 1.0 - 2.0 ppm in my 55 gallon tank. Using Seachem Stability every day as well as Brightwells Aquatics MicroBacterStart XLF. I know I just have to be patient but I'd give $100 to see just a hint of purple in that nitrite test tube.

Good luck and it won't be long for you now I'm sure!
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it 👍🏼 Wow that’s a big tank! Hopefully it won’t be long.
Good luck to you too hope things go well for you!

It normally takes around 4-6 weeks for a filter to develop the beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate. You can reduce this time by adding bottled bacteria for fish tanks (available from most pet shops or online).

It takes around 2-3 weeks for the first colonies of bacteria to develop. These convert the ammonia into nitrite.
Then a few weeks later and the next colonies of bacteria develop and they convert nitrite into nitrate.

Once the filter is established, the bacteria should be able to remove any ammonia or nitrite within a few hours.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back