Fishless Cycle working for me?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

peterp13

Reaction score
Hi, guys, I started the fishless cycle last Sat. night, I put too much ammonia in it(about double than what I should), then on Sunday morning I did some water change to bring the reading down to 4, now it's Monday night, when I test the water again, the reading remains at 4.

Could anybody tell whethers the cycle process is working for me or not?

Thanks,
Peter

You're also going to need to test for nitrates and nitrites. You should always keep the ammonia up to 3-5 ppm until you start getting nitrates and nitrites. :thumbs:

Hi, Raechal, I skipped the nitrite(yesterday was at 0) & nitrate test today, because I thought that the tank is new, so there should not be nitrite/nitrate reading until ammonia goes down, am I wrong?

Peter

peterp13 said:
Hi, Raechal, I skipped the nitrite(yesterday was at 0) & nitrate test today, because I thought that the tank is new, so there should not be nitrite/nitrate reading until ammonia goes down, am I wrong?

Peter
Yea you won't get any nitrates or nitrites until about the fifth day, well that is what happened to me. I am currently cycling my 120 gallon right now doing a fishless cycle. I add ammonia everyday or as needed to bring it up to around 5-6ppm. I just now got a reading of

am-6
ni-1
na-0

So I guess I am getting closer to getting more nitrites and nitrates. :thumbs:

Congratulation to you.

I just wonder whether I should add ammonia in it when the ammonia reading does not drop at all.

Peter

peterp13 said:
Congratulation to you.

I just wonder whether I should add ammonia in it when the ammonia reading does not drop at all.

Peter
You should make sure the ammonia is at 3-5 ppm everyday. If it is 3-5 ppm tomorrow I wouldn't think you would have to add anymore ammonia. Then when you get your nitrite spike, cut down on the ammonia maybe only 2-3 drops per 10 gallons instead of 4-5 drops.

How large is your tank?

I have a 29 gal tank, and I don't realy know how much is one drop of ammonia, cause I just throw it in/out until getting the reading of 4, so I know the measurement for myself.

Peter

peterp13 said:
I have a 29 gal tank, and I don't realy know how much is one drop of ammonia, cause I just throw it in/out until getting the reading of 4, so I know the measurement for myself.

Peter
:p Hehe, that is what I do too. I have a 29 gallon but it is already cycled and I cycled it with fish. :no:

What do you plan on putting in the tank?

:D , I started with fish as well, then got troubles and they are all gone. That's why I am working on the fishless cycle now.

I suppose to put tiger barbs, zebra danio, and maybe 2 shrimps. Actually I do want to have anglefish, but it's said that it's no good to put tiger barb and anglefish together.

Peter

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back