Fishless cycle questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Can you post some pictures and a short 60 second video of the remaining fish, and pics of the dead fish if you still have them?
Also post a picture of the tank.

Have you tested the tank water to make sure the fish aren't dying from poor water quality?

How often do you do water changes on that tank?
How much water do you change on it?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What fish are in the tank?
Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before they started dying?

a better video for you, thatā€™s just after Iā€™ve put food in

I drop 50% 50L out (100L tank) and just added half the dose flubendazole again
Don't half dose with medications because it causes drug resistance in whatever you are trying to treat.

Deworming medications get treated at full strength once a week for 4 weeks.

Don't half dose with medications because it causes drug resistance in whatever you are trying to treat.

Deworming medications get treated at full strength once a week for 4 weeks.
Well I f#*ā‚¬ed up there didnā€™t I :crazy: So many things still to learn, everyday is a school day

add plants - maybe: depending on what level of ammonia you are using, the ammonia may be harmful to some plants in high concentrations. If you are concerned about your plants, you can add a lower amount of ammonia,
What level of ammonia would be harmful to plants? I am planning to do a fishless cycle in a planted tank and certainly don't want to kill the plants I just put in. Any guidelines?

It depends on the plants. Some won't be harmed at all, while others don't like any. And of course a whole lot in between.

But if a tank is to be quite heavily planted with fast growing or floating plants, a silent cycle can be done which doesn't involve adding any ammonia.

For reference - heavier planted than my 20 is at the moment. I tested my water today before I did a water change and my ammonia was zero by my nitrites were off the scale. They were still reading purple after I finished my 50% wc, and my tap read 0 (since I wasn't buying that my tank was so high!). I am going to guess the rotting plant matter is/was an ammonia source (I never measured the tank until today since there's nothing but plants in there), and I'm halfway through a cycle....? Bizarre to say the least haha. I see a few more 50% water changes in my future lol.

I bought some water sprite and a java fern today (and a snail, I know, shame on me, at least I put a ton of prime in the tank too), so it will be interesting to see how things go over the next few days/weeks.

For the sake of the snail, lots of water changes coming up, but at least once I get the nitrites down they shouldn't go up quickly hopefully....

Most reactions

trending

Back