Fishless cycle help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

houndour

Twiglet and Eeyore
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm day 32.

Dosed three times as per instructions. Just did dose number 3 yesterday after having the 2 consecutive ammonia =0 test. Nitrites have been 4 for at least 2 weeks.

So did the third dose of ammonia yesterday and tested today, 24 hours later and ammonia is zero again but nitrites are now really pink. So 8 on the chart.

PH is 8 today. Tap water is 7.5.

I've read high nitrites can stall? Any advice on what to do now?

Dose #3 - did you add enough ammonia to get 3 ppm or 1 ppm?

Assuming it was 1 ppm, you need to wait now. Don't add more ammonia until nitrite drops below 1.0ppm or that will make too much nitrite.

Yes it was aiming for 1ppm. It was a third of my other doses. OK. So just keep testing for now waiting for nitrites to go down?

Yes, that's right. Once the nitrite eaters start to grow they really take off and nitrite will drop quickly. It's just a waiting game now.

I'm optimistic that my tank will be cycled in the next day or so. How many fish can I add to start with?

Also can I add fertiliser for the plants? I haven't yet - I've been paranoid about ruining the cycle!

Yes, add plant fertiliser.

Theoretically you can add all the fish you intend. However, I prefer to add less. There are several reasons.
If the cycle hadn't really completed and you find ammonia and/or nitrite showing up, the fewer fish for a spike, the better.
Some fish need a mature tank - one that's been running at least 6 months - rather than just cycled so they are best left till later.
If you are anything like me you'll have decided what you want then find out about a must-have fish. If the tank is fully stocked, you can't get them unless you set up another tank.

So add about 3/4 of the planned fish and keep an eye on the levels for several days. Once you are certain they are staying at zero you can think about adding the rest - except for those that need a mature tank. If there are any on your list, keep space for them in a few months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back