Fishing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
right, i haven't been fishing for such a long time and my fish catching experiences have been limited. in Scarborough, the only "good" place to fish is the Mere but the fish in there consist of a big shoal of bream (i used to love the challenge of trying to catch them!), carp, tench, thousands upon thousands of perch ( :angry: ) and a spot of roach every so often. there is also about 100 pike (or so) but i only enjoyed fishing for them occassionally.

anyway, those fish are all thats available in Scarborough as well as being the only fish i've caught.

my friend, Paul Murray (he owns a couple of night clubs in Scarborough), has recently made a huge lake. he's been asking me questions about his failure with the fish stock (they all died shortly after adding them to the lake) which i've yet to answer properly.
i am going to tell him to wait until autumn to stock the lake very, very, VERY lightly and then wait until spring to think about stocking the whole thing.
anyway (lol) i'm hoping to offer him some fish that will challenge fishermen who will eventually be paying to fish in the lake if all goes well.
anyone have any ideas on challenging fish that he can put in the lake?

For a lake they are the normal fish that would be stocked. Seeing as its a new Lake i wouldnt add the pike. I will ask my friend who fishs alot and have won many trophies and been in many Mags. You may no him if you into all them compertitions (His name is Gary Manoli)

I will ask him and get back to you.

okay, that'd be great thanks :) i was thinkin that might just be it for freshwater fish but i thought there might be a few other fish that can live in it i've not come across.

i don't think he was gonna add any pike anywho. they're nice lookin fish but pretty much take advantage of being so high up in the food chain lol

i dont know your friend i'm afraid :no:

For a lake they are the normal fish that would be stocked. Seeing as its a new Lake i wouldnt add the pike. I will ask my friend who fishs alot and have won many trophies and been in many Mags. You may no him if you into all them compertitions (His name is Gary Manoli)

I will ask him and get back to you.

The name rings a bell, I like fishing but never did any competitions might do this year, just going to see where it takes me so to speak :D

I'm an avid Specimen angler,absolutely love it, and have caught some very nice fish(if i do say so myself,lol!) :

TFF-Fishing.jpg

It all depends on what sort of a lake your friend is wanting it to be, for instance a match lake or a specimen lake??

Also how big is the lake and what amounts, species, sizes did your friend stock the lake with??

One of the most callenging fish to catch is a nice sized carp!Others include catfish, which fight very very well!!

Like i said though it all depends what sort of lake your friend is trying to create ;)

Wow! Beasty...leather carp is that?

Get some golden and blue orfe :hyper:

Nice mirror rutters, my biggest to date is only 14lb 4oz, caught from my local canal :lol: . I'm not really a specimen hunter like you, but i occasionally float bread for top feeding carp which is always fun. I'm slowly getting into match angling now which im enjoying.

Heres a few piccies of some carp ive caught over the years.....

my P.B
canalmirrorcarp26thjune07.jpg

mirrorcarp3rd0807.jpg

7lb2ozcanalcommon25thjune07.jpg

12lbghostiecefnmablymarch29th08.jpg

12lbcarpnewport27thnov07.jpg

I Agree with Rutters, Depends what you want. Id go with a carping lake :D, Maybe a few tench and bream etc, But imo bream are just dead weight on the end of your line. They never put up a good fight.... :crazy:

My dads friend had the same problem mate and the worse thing you can do is add fish straight away you need to assess all the main factors invovled in successfully keeping a lake, another factor you need to have a look into is the environment the lake is positioned in and how it could effect the well being of any potential fish being stocked in the lake.
But otherwise good luck :good:

If all the fish died straight away get in touch with the EA im sure they will be able to tell you what is wrong with the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back