• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nik

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My passion started with fish after my dad took me fishing. I was amazed that under the dark waters things were alive. :eek: :eek:

But now that I am a keen fish keeper is it correct to still want to go fishing? :/

What are your thoughts on this query?? -_-

I don't personally go fishing, but where I come from there is a lot of fishing about, and I don't mind it.

The majority is just for sport, and the fish are put back in the water soon after being caught.

I have to say that fishing as a sport isn't something that I'd find interesting myself, but I have no problem with it...like hunting (which I also have no problem with) it has been done for thousands of years, so I don't see why we should stop now...! :D

some people think that it is cruel and barbaric and I can kinda see their point, but personaly (coming from a farming community) I can understand the need to a keep pests down (on the hunting angle) and for food and for a sport, provided that the fish are put back...(just my opinion tho, not trying to offend people)

If eat what you catch then I am all for it.
If you make the fish suffer by hooking it, dragging it out of its natural enviroment, de-hooking it, measure it, pat yourself on the back, show your mates it, photograph it and put it back in the water, all in the name of sport, then I think that is wrong. After all, you wouldnt concider baiting a hook with bread so it floats on the water in the hope you might catch a swan.............would you?
Just my 2 penneth ;)
Jim

Jim - I'm with you. I used to love fishing when I was a kid. My dad told us that it didn't hurt the fish when you pulled the hook out. I believed that for a long time until one day, I guess I grew up, I was like wait a minute it's got to hurt. They just don't have a way that we can interpret to express their pain. So I never went fishing again. But fishing for food is OK in my book.

as a kid I spent many hours fishing from the wharf and out in the dinghy and thoroughly enjoyed it - then a couple of years ago was on one of our local wharves fishing for sprats for the cats and watched as someone caught a trevally - it really was the most beautiful fish with the sun on its scales as it flopped about on the wharf and slowly died - I did ask the people who had caught it to kill it quickly - they looked at me as if I was very strange.......

I had been fishing since - but I don't use a hook now (tie the food on)........... I get the bites (so I know the fish are down there) and they get the food - I just like it better that way

I am graduating in December with my Wildlife Biology degree and I have taken all the classes except three to obtain my Fisheries Biology degree. With all this said I love hunting and fishing and here is why. In mother nature someone has to be the prey and some has to be the hunter. We have pretty much whiped out the wolf, mountain lion, and bear as the big apex hunters. So now when Bambi has a baby, that baby has baby, and that baby has a baby. This is called exponential growth....but wait someone for got to tell Bambi's food source to grow at all. End result...sarving Bambi. It takes weeks or months for a deer to completely starve to death. The fish example is not this extreme but not very nice either. OK, LETS GO FISHING !!!
Signed,
Sondan

Fly258 said:
If eat what you catch then I am all for it.
That and hunting, if it's done out of necessity, then I am all for it. Like someonne previously stated, it's been done for thousands of years (out of necessity), why should it stop now?

Hmmm.... I could go for some fish & chips right now....

If you are dieting can you FAT Fat and more FaT !!
If it is weight watchers can you say points points points !!
If you are Adkins dieting can you say carbs carbs carbs !!
:rolleyes:
Signed,
Sondan

Im a fisherman and im proud of it.

The money raised by anglers licence fees in the uk help towards the upkeep of the natural habitats of many other aquatic wild life and many areas which are owned by anglers would otherwise be built upon.
Fish suffer minimal stress from catch and release programs and many specimins go on to be caught time and time again.

I am a fisherman. I catch fish for the Fun & to eat. I spend mondo amounts of money, just like fish tank. I eat alot of what I catch. What I don't eat does go back in the water. I always make sure to get them back into the water in the fastest amount of time possible. With some fish you have a small amount of time they can be out of the water (Large Pike & Musky) others (Smallmouth bass & Walleye,etc) it seems they recover faster & they can be out of water for longer amounts of time. Granted I always try to keep that to a minimum. Then you move on to the Pain question. This has been going back & forth in fishing magazine for about a year now. Do they or don't they feel pain. Well it's all relative in my mind. Do they feel pain like we do. No, they don't have the nerve center like we do as humans. Do they feel it on their level? Yes I think so. Just like I think they feel happy, & hungry, sad, & scared. It's all relative to their size & brain. This is what I think. Just my two cents.

As long as it is for food and you are barbless fishing, yes I agree with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back