Fishes' Water Flow Preferences

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

black_bull

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I really need to know the optimal amount of water flow/aeration for the following fish:

mollies (small variety that only gets to about 3-4 in.)
guppies
zebra danios
rosy tetras

Do any of them mind fast currents or several airstones in the tank?

Any info is appreciated.

I really need to know the optimal amount of water flow/aeration for the following fish:

mollies (small variety that only gets to about 3-4 in.)
guppies
zebra danios
rosy tetras

Do any of them mind fast currents or several airstones in the tank?

Any info is appreciated.

Only one I know who loves fast flow is Danios from your fish. This from experience. Never kept the other you mention.

I had Pearl Danios, absolute nutters for swimming into the flow - my filter output is twice as good as it needs to be for my tank btw.

:lol: Yeah my danios do the same thing for some reason.

Has anyone kept guppies or mollies?

Guppies don't do well with current. They prefer slow moving water. Mollies will be fine with some current.

Not on topic, but I'd be careful that danios don't nip the guppy's fins as well.

GL :D

Guppies don't do well with current. They prefer slow moving water. Mollies will be fine with some current.

Not on topic, but I'd be careful that danios don't nip the guppy's fins as well.

GL :D

No, I appreciate the advice. My danios don't seem nippy and none of my male guppies have bites out of their tails, but I will be sure to continue monitering the danios closely.

Do female fancy guppies mind the current? Is it just males because of their tails?

My female guppies (strong and well built) have never seemed to mind my airstone, but the weakly male I bought couldn't even cope with the normal filter flow. His son, raised in my main tank, is stronger, but I feel an airstone is a bit much for him. Most male guppies have been bred to look pretty, not to be muscular.

My rosy tetras aren't intersted in a decent current. Filter outlet current doesn't bother them - but I think anything really vigourous would. They don't need huge levels of oxygen saturation or anything.

Most reactions

trending

Back