Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishLover166

Reaction score
I think I will get guppies, 1 bristlenose pleco, mollies, rainbow dwarf and maybe swordtails for my 40 gallon. All I would like to ask is:
1. How much of each would be a good amount, for a 40 gallon long (48″ x 12″ x 16″, LxWxH)
2. What temp should I keep the tank at?
3. What pH?
4. What dH?
5. Any other tips.
Thank you, any help is great!

What is the GH and pH of the water supply? It will dictate the fish you can keep.
A good place to check parameters for different species is seriouslyfish.com.

To find your GH the simplest way is to look on your water provider's website for 'hardness'. You need a number and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.
If they don't give it or you are on a well, the next easiest is to take a sample of tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test it for GH. Make sure they give you a number not some vague words.
The most expensive option is to buy a GH tester.

As for pH, you need your own test kits which comes with tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. test a freshly run sample of tap water, and leave a glass of water to stand overnight and test that next day - it will probably be different.

Do you have the tank yet? If you do, have you cycled it yet (ie grown all the bacteria needed to remove fish waste)?

Most reactions

Back