Fish you'd like to see less of...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

as much as i love them and hate to actually be the one saying it i really wish there were less bettas in the lfs. IMO, they are the #1 most exploited fish on the market. well, maybe after the "carnival" goldfish:( ive never heard one piece of good advice given about bettas in any fish store in my area.(ie., theyll be fine in that tiny cube...they dont LIKE a lot of space....no they dont need a heater/filter). prob 50% and upward of them die in the first month of ownership and the folks just go back for another one cause theyre cheap.
truly sad IMO.

as much as i love them and hate to actually be the one saying it i really wish there were less bettas in the lfs. IMO, they are the #1 most exploited fish on the market. well, maybe after the "carnival" goldfish:( ive never heard one piece of good advice given about bettas in any fish store in my area.(ie., theyll be fine in that tiny cube...they dont LIKE a lot of space....no they dont need a heater/filter). prob 50% and upward of them die in the first month of ownership and the folks just go back for another one cause theyre cheap.
truly sad IMO.

Agreed. My LFS has a Betta in every single tank. Half of them are getting bullied by other fish. I've seen him sell them with any other fish, even tiger barbs.

The one fish store I used to go to actually had a strip of yellow tape with the name of the fish that it represented the adult size of. It was a great way of getting an instant visual of things instead of just having it listed as a vague concept of '6 inches' or what have you.

Personally, if I had a store I wouldn't stock anything over six to seven inches or that was harder to house, but I would have a catalog with the various fish I could special order that listed the stats. Most people who want to be morons about their stocking aren't going to take the time to page through a book and wait a week or more to have their selection picked up, they'll just buy some platies or mollies and be happy.

That, and I'd have the little sign that says 'This is not burger king, you do not get it your way, you get it my way, or you can get the hell out' :lol:

P.S. To all the puffer lovers out there, Wal-mart now stocks them. Kill them... I just hope they've stopped selling fiddler crabs in tiny condiment cups :(

Iridescent Sharks. I mean, how many people have 1,000gal+ tanks that can house multiple 5ft+ fish?

Most reactions

trending

Back