Fish With Single White Spot And Another With Mouth Disappearing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

deber

Reaction score
Please Help!!i have a fish with a white/slightly red spot on its side and it is swimming around occasionally erratic.i had another just like it that had the same kind of spot on its gil and it died.another fish has turned more white then usual and its mouth is disappearing.i did water tests and have done normal water changes for the past few weeks,the tests look pretty good.i can't figure out what this is?i will include some pics.thanks to everyone in advance.
fishinjurypics2.jpg
fishinjurypics1.jpg

I'm not an expert so don't go by what I say... but because I have two sick fish I've been doing a lot of research. I'm thinking it sounds like it could be flukes or Glugea and Henneguya.

Fluke symptoms - The fish scrapes itself against objects, rapid gill movement, mucus covering the gills or body, the gills or fins may be eaten away, the skin may become reddened.

Glugea and Henneguya - the fish will have nodular white swellings on fins or body (Thought its doubtable since these diseases are very rare)

There's Lymphocystis... but that's more like cauliflower growths.

Turberculosis could explain fins falling off or the mouth wasting away.

with the one losing it's mouth, are you sure it's not getting bullied or injured somehow? What does the area around the mouth look like?

Are there any other symptoms like fins looking torn or clamped, when you say swimming erratically, how so? are they more lethargic? Eating at all? Do they have swollen bellies? is there anything else you can see?

I think more pics would help. But again those are my educated guesses as someone who was looking to diagnose my own fish... I'm not expert... so wait for someone else's thoughts.

are you giving it any medication?
no medication yet,im waiting to see what to give.what i mean by erratically is it just swims really fast throught the tank,i can hear rocks swooshing around.

does anyone know of some other sites where people actually try and help people?

Whoa. Play nice. We are trying to help but fish diseases are difficult to diagnose and treat.

Your one fish looks like it has mouth rot. Having followed this forum for a while, when the mouth rots away noticeably death is usually not preventable. I had a congo tetra like yours and I euthanized it, no further problems with my tank.

The spot I'm not certain about. No other spots in the tank? It looks red in the pic so difficult to say it is ick. I would wait for others to comment.

Also, please post more info. We need tank size, how long it has been set up, and the precise water statistics, just saying "fine" doesn't give us enough info because often times people have been misinformed by what "fine" is by their fish store, so it is nice to just get that out of the way with actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph etc.

so is mouth rot a baterial or fungas?29 gal tank i have had for 4 years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back