Fish We Like So Far But Are Any Compatible

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dtaylor21184

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok we went to one fish store near us but we are going to a better one soon so this list will probably change as they have more variety but i have a basic list and wanted to know your input on them please

right our tank is 165l

fish we like

Corydoras - we like most of them so wouldnt be too bothered which exact species we got
Pleco - same as above really
Guppies - we both really like these
Platy
Mollies - i liked these especially the dalmation ones
Betta - OH wants a red fish and he liked some of these that we saw
Glowlight tetra
Neon tetra
Penguin tetra

OH also liked

Snow White Socolofi - well we think thats what it is posted a picture of it but im not sure if its gonna be too big
Duboisi Cichlids - again i think these may be too big

i know we cant have all those together but thats my first draft from the one shop we went too of what we liked so if anyone could advice me on what are keepers and what we should forget i would be really greatful also any suggestions on any other fish to consider

Hi. You seem to want a tropical community so steer clear of the two types of cichlid that you mention last. They don't mix with your other choices and are rather aggressive. So forget those.

Neons are okay but can be rather fragile and sensitive to water conditions so shouldn't be introduced until your tank is a few months mature.
Corys are fine but need to be in a small group of the same type really to shoal together.
Common plecs get big, well over a foot long and are very messy, adding lots of bioload to your filtration system. There are plecs that stay much smaller though. A bristlenose would be ideal as they only get to about 4".
The other fish you thought of are okay. A siamese fighter may be okay or may get bullied and it's fins ripped by the tetras in a community tank.

Thanks

Yeah I thought the cichlids wouldn't be a good idea

I was thinking of getting about 6-8 corys and around 8-10 neons not sure on numbers for the rest.

My OH wants a red fish for some strange reason any suggestion on something other than a Betta then

Do all the tetras mix quite well?

Aye, red platties are common. How about a gourami, there's a red honey gourami as far as I'm aware and its stunning. Search google for it. There are some cichlids that are considered as community such as German blue Rams and Bolivian Rams. The German blue are better colours IMO.

Good luck with what ever fish you decide to get.

Thanks micko I'll look into all of them you mentioned

you could get away with a betta, my OH has a male with neons and platies they all get along :good:

if you do decide on a betta get one that doesn't bother any tankmates in the shop.

I think i nice group of cories, neons a few platies and the betta would look fab

Guppies,mollies,and platy's all prefer hard alkaline water while the tetras would do best in the long term in softer acidic conditions though some can adapt to perhaps moderately hard water.I would first determine what the ph is of my tapwater and select fishes that will thrive in this water.
With the live bearer's,unless you purchase all males,,,there will soon be scores of baby livebearer's so a plan for what to do with the fry is wise lest you become knee deep in babies.

I think my tap water ph is around 7.5 but I will double check that.

Can all male livebears be kept together or do they fight?

they can be kept together in groups of atleast 5, there will beo some aggression but with 5+ very little, i have a group of 5 male platies all fine most of the time :good:

With the live bearer's,unless you purchase all males,,,there will soon be scores of baby livebearer's so a plan for what to do with the fry is wise lest you become knee deep in babies.

May not necessarily happen as unless the OP has lots of dense foliage for the newborns to hide in then they'll get eaten. Very few if any will survive in a community tank.

Thanks everyone gonna so some of the suggestions to my OH and get back with an altered list I now I have a while to decide but I think it's best to have a plan

Ok so we both like dwarf gourami would these be possible with the above fish

Most reactions

Back