Fish/water Ratio Formula Might Be Ready For Beta Testing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jeremy180

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been working hard  to calculate a reliable stocking formula to replace the highly flawed inch per gallon/square foot formula, as well as the impractical and slightly flawed gram per gallon formula.
This has taken many, many hours of my spare time, using trial and error to tweak the formula to line up with as many stocking recommendations from as many reliable sources as possible, as well trying to prevent the formula from being unmanageably complicated.
About all I can do now is screen it with some of the experts here.
Please give me a sample selection of livestock, and I will attempt to use the formula to recommend a minimum volume of water to keep it in, then you can tell me how far off I am.
Please note: this formula only covers fish, so far, and assumes a mature tank with weekly 50% minimum water changes

WARNING to beginners! Fish/ water ratio is only one of the many things to consider before purchasing a fish!
Ph, hardness temperature, aggressiveness, feeding behavior, filter efficiency, and avoiding putting predators with potential prey should also be considered!
Also, as mentioned, this formula is only a beta, meaning any calculations made with it are not as good as expert advice, and probably never will be!
(but I am optomistic that it will beat the pants off the current formulas)
fish.gif

I've been pacing back and forth all night last night trying to figure out what to reply to this.
I don't necessarily think there is a formula to stocking. A solid formula that is, because it really depends on the type of fish, what their required tank size is, how much of a bio load they give off, etc.
I think volume and how much distance fish can get away from each other are key to stocking. Volume to provide enough swimming room, I'd say (and this is a very loose idea) 1 inch of fish for every foot of water cubed? Probably a very poor formula to follow... Now this is just for selecting what fish would be ideal for what tank size, I'm guessing the real question is figuring out how many fish can be kept in a tank without pushing the limit...

I'm stumped...
I think the one inch per gallon is an okay formula to follow, I guess, it should be taken very loosely.

RainboWBacoN420 said:
I've been pacing back and forth all night last night trying to figure out what to reply to this.
I don't necessarily think there is a formula to stocking. A solid formula that is, because it really depends on the type of fish, what their required tank size is, how much of a bio load they give off, etc.
I think volume and how much distance fish can get away from each other are key to stocking. Volume to provide enough swimming room, I'd say (and this is a very loose idea) 1 inch of fish for every foot of water cubed? Probably a very poor formula to follow... Now this is just for selecting what fish would be ideal for what tank size, I'm guessing the real question is figuring out how many fish can be kept in a tank without pushing the limit...

I'm stumped...
I think the one inch per gallon is an okay formula to follow, I guess, it should be taken very loosely.
That is the exact goal of this formula, which is much more in-depth than that.
I mean, seriously, surely we can do better than "The inch per gallon rule is junk, (it is) just follow your intuition!"
Math can be used to estimate so many things, I don't see why a proper formula couldn't be found to at least approximate this value.
The main reason I'm not revealing the formula yet is I don't want somebody spreading it around in case it turns out to be another dud.

Well, like I said, many, many factors came into place such as how much swimming room each fish need, how much do they contribute to the bio-load and so on...
I do definitely believe there is a way better method instead of the 1 inch per gallon rule, I do agree it is junk.

Just to reiterate, I have a formula/equation that's been in development for weeks months, but I need feedback to truly test it.
Anyone?

You can message me what you have, I'd like to know what formula the cheif has cooked up. (;

Sorry, I'm lrunning late atm, will have to message you when I get back in a few hours.

It's whatever, I suggested messaging because you said you didn't want the formula to go around.
I would like to know what formula you've been working on, ever since I read this post last night I had thinking about it and want to know some new formulas. There's not many out there, and the 1 inch per gallon is the commonly distributed method out there on the internet.

Wow, I didn't realize how long that equation was until I had to write it out...

Case A: 22 blood fin tetras, 25 neon tetras, 20 sterbai corydoras, 1 BN Pleco, 4 apistogrammas

Case B: 3 bettas

Case C: 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 kribensis, and 3 green terrors

It might sound like a good idea to come up with a more precise formula for beginners. This will make it easier for them to establish their new tanks properly.

However, I have to note that as rainbowbacon said before, formulas will never be better than your intuition and experience. As every tank is different on a lot of factors the formula might become over complicated. Besides, it will be hard to take all factors into account. As not only the general behavior of a fish is important but also factors like whether you have live plants or not. Besides that is the volume of a tank not the only problem. As fish also have other requirements on the dimensions of a tank. If you would express it in liters/gallons it would still barely tell anything about the tank. Is there need for a high/low tank? what about the depth? or the length? A fish that requires 1 liter of water, can be kept in a tank of 10*10*10 in cm. However a tank of 100*10*1 in cm will also contain a liter of water. However would it be reasonable to place a fish in such a tank?
This might sound a bit exaggerated, but it certainly applies to a lot of fish. Active fish for example will need a long tank to be able to swim a lot. Would a high tank with a small surface still be suitable?

Having said that, it would still be a good idea to have a simple general formula that can give an indication on how large a tank should be. This will make it for beginners a bit easier to set up their first tank. As experience isn't acquired in one day their intuition is less reliable than that of the more experienced people.
So I'm very curious how your formula looks like.

A long tank is generally considered to be a better supportive environment than an upright tank with the same water volume.

Therefore the calculation may need tweaking dependant on tank shape as well as volume.

If you are going to use size, at least consider using body depth in it. An angel with a body length of say 1 1/2 inches is quite a large fish while a swordtail with the same body length is just a juvenile. The angel will require considerably more water per fish than the sword. The angel will likely have a body depth of 1 1/2 inches while the sword will be closer to 1/3 inch. I have no idea what factor to assign to body depth but it is obviously something to consider when stocking a tank.

I'm sorry for not replying, I have a major personal crisis that's left me depressed and exhausted, I will try to make a proper reply tomorrow

Going by the inch per gallon my Betta tank is voe fully overstocked.

1 Betta.
2 Mystery snaills.
12 Kuhli Loaches ( there could be more the only way to tell would be to tear the tank down )
60 plus Red Cherry shrimp
And god only knows how many Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

All happily living in a heavily planted including floating plants  2 foot 70 liter tank with a 2 tray canister filter, I sometimes get 5 Nitrates reading if I don't change water for 7 days. I never see a reading for ammonia or nitrite.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back