Fish Was Pregnant...not Anymore?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lawrence

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My swordtail (a live bearer) was definitely pregnant yesterday (its stomach was growing for the past 1-2 weeks). It stomach was bloated and there was a dark black spot. Now I looked at the fish again and it isn't as big as before but there is still a black spot and it is still not its normal size. There are no fry in the containment tank, and there are no dead fry/remains. I had bred swordtails once before so I understand a bit how they breed. However I don't remember the fish reducing in size before it gives birth. The swordtail is separate from the other fish. The section where the female fish is in is about 1/5 of the tank. The tank is 60 liters.

Whats the problem? Did I separate the female too early from the tank? Or is everything fine?

My swordtail (a live bearer) was definitely pregnant yesterday (its stomach was growing for the past 1-2 weeks). It stomach was bloated and there was a dark black spot. Now I looked at the fish again and it isn't as big as before but there is still a black spot and it is still not its normal size. There are no fry in the containment tank, and there are no dead fry/remains. I had bred swordtails once before so I understand a bit how they breed. However I don't remember the fish reducing in size before it gives birth. The swordtail is separate from the other fish. The section where the female fish is in is about 1/5 of the tank. The tank is 60 liters.

Whats the problem? Did I separate the female too early from the tank? Or is everything fine?

sounds like she mmay have terminated the pregnancy, and unfortunately stress can cause that to happen. is there any reason why you put her in the trap so early?

sounds like she mmay have terminated the pregnancy, and unfortunately stress can cause that to happen. is there any reason why you put her in the trap so early?
i thought it was near birth... if i take her out will that encourage the birth to occur?

If she is still pregnant then releasing her will mean less stress, which can only be a good thing ;)
Does she have a big white spot on her behind? Is she 'squared off'? You can see what that means by reading the posts at the top of the livebearers section :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back