Fish Wars

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Think you will be in for a rough ride over the next few weeks...

The discus really won't be happy in that bowl.

Yes regular large water changes and keep feeding to a minimum - less waste...

I find it sad that you have been misled in setting this tank up :sad: these are not small fish and whoever sold them to you must of had some knowledge of their requirements :angry:

Anyway on the plus side when this is all sorted out you have a lovely looking tank to stock with a bit more thought :good:

Hang in there...

The shark is a pangasius catfish. They get huge and I mean HUGE ! Your tank is crazy and u need to rehome the pangasius, the oscars the koi and the Pleco

The Koi already died as you would know if you read the whole thread :(

Also the member is now fully aware of what needs to be done and wants to just keep the Discus eventually.

The discus will not do well at all in that bowl. Is there any way you could get a temporary divider for the tank, until you find a more suitable arrangement?

Can you return some of the fish to the shop they came from, with your new knowledge to back you up?

As mossonthemoon said, sort out a divider and put the discus back in the main tank. Something like a rigid plastic mesh or grid would be ideal, anything the fish can't swim through but still allows the water to flow freely.

Sad as it is to lose fish it may be a blessing in disguise that the Koi are no longer in there, they would have had a huge impact on the bioload of the tank.

Keep doing big, daily water changes of around 50% if you can manage them to keep the water as good as possible and look for an external filter. Before you run it on the tank let us know what you've got and we'll advise you the best way to set it up (would do it now but might be information overload with everything going on).

By the way, it is a really nice looking tank. Try not to be too discouraged. I really do think that if you can follow some advice here you will have something beautiful to look at for a long time.

I find it sad that you have been misled in setting this tank up :sad: these are not small fish and whoever sold them to you must of had some knowledge of their requirements :angry:

Anyway on the plus side when this is all sorted out you have a lovely looking tank to stock with a bit more thought :good:

Hang in there...

We have all been there - don't worry :)

Also the member is now fully aware of what needs to be done and wants to just keep the Discus eventually.

Thank you guys!

So here's the update. Did my water change today. I've not been able to get a perforated divider, so the discus have survived in the bowl today. I should have the divider tomorrow unless the following is a better option -

I've found a vendor who is willing to trade all my fish in for Discus fish. Should I go ahead with it? I'm cycling my tank so the first few weeks might be hard on them but I suppose its better than having the others fight about?

Also, I bought a few under water plants today, should help with absorbing the ammonia! Can't express how helpful all this has been! The external filter might have to wait, I figured the last thing I'd want is to disrupt this cycling process. I'm considering introducing the external in addition to the internal filters once the internals have a bacteria colony.

Thanks for all the advise! Keeping strong.

Fighter Dori.

The discus will not do well at all in that bowl. Is there any way you could get a temporary divider for the tank, until you find a more suitable arrangement?

Can you return some of the fish to the shop they came from, with your new knowledge to back you up?

As mossonthemoon said, sort out a divider and put the discus back in the main tank. Something like a rigid plastic mesh or grid would be ideal, anything the fish can't swim through but still allows the water to flow freely.

Sad as it is to lose fish it may be a blessing in disguise that the Koi are no longer in there, they would have had a huge impact on the bioload of the tank.

Keep doing big, daily water changes of around 50% if you can manage them to keep the water as good as possible and look for an external filter. Before you run it on the tank let us know what you've got and we'll advise you the best way to set it up (would do it now but might be information overload with everything going on).

By the way, it is a really nice looking tank. Try not to be too discouraged. I really do think that if you can follow some advice here you will have something beautiful to look at for a long time.

Hang in there...

Thank you guys!

So here's the update. Did my water change today. I've not been able to get a perforated divider, so the discus have survived in the bowl today. I should have the divider tomorrow unless the following is a better option -

I've found a vendor who is willing to trade all my fish in for Discus fish. Should I go ahead with it? I'm cycling my tank so the first few weeks might be hard on them but I suppose its better than having the others fight about?

Also, I bought a few under water plants today, should help with absorbing the ammonia! Can't express how helpful all this has been! The external filter might have to wait, I figured the last thing I'd want is to disrupt this cycling process. I'm considering introducing the external in addition to the internal filters once the internals have a bacteria colony.

Fighter Dori.

Wait with turning in the fish for discus. Give him the fish, but tell him you will pick up the discus at a later time.

Good luck :good:

I think I would personally run both types of filter at once, or get the external and put the internal's sponges inside it if that is possible. Could you perhaps trade with that vendor, but have him hold the discus until your cycle is complete? Fish-in cycling with two discus will be a challenge, but with more it could prove to be impossible. It would be such a shame to lost any, but putting two at risk is slightly more preferable than a whole group. Overall though, it sounds like it will be a fantastic tank in the end.

Second that, trade in your fish but ask for store credit in the form of a voucher or something rather than the fish at the moment.

Worst case scenario is that you lose the Discus you have during the cycle, last thing you want is to lose them and ones you've traded your other fish for.

Better still trade your fish in for an external filter (or credit towards one) :)

Hang in there...

Thank you guys!

Fighter Dori.

Wait with turning in the fish for discus. Give him the fish, but tell him you will pick up the discus at a later time.

Good luck :good:

I think I would personally run both types of filter at once, or get the external and put the internal's sponges inside it if that is possible. Could you perhaps trade with that vendor, but have him hold the discus until your cycle is complete? Fish-in cycling with two discus will be a challenge, but with more it could prove to be impossible. It would be such a shame to lost any, but putting two at risk is slightly more preferable than a whole group. Overall though, it sounds like it will be a fantastic tank in the end.

Second that, trade in your fish but ask for store credit in the form of a voucher or something rather than the fish at the moment.

Worst case scenario is that you lose the Discus you have during the cycle, last thing you want is to lose them and ones you've traded your other fish for.

Better still trade your fish in for an external filter (or credit towards one) :)

I'm afraid the barter is only valid for fish-for-fish trade. These are small time vendors though, so no credit vouchers etc, just a written note. Which is why I'm double minded about letting him repose my fish while I complete cycling the tank. Anyway, it is definitely a possibility I'm willing to explore so will check with him. As a back up option, should I just rehome the fish later seeing as how the Discus seem to be the most sensitive of the lot?

Did a bit of research on external filters, and they seem quite expensive in this part of the world. I've got to save up before I can get one. It would've definitely been nice if I could trade in the fish for one. Oh well.

Any comments on the water parameters I posted earlier? Does everything look ok? Will repost in the evening with today's parameters.

Hi I have been reading your thread and so sorry for your loss and also bad advice from your vender , I have always found the advice on this forum great as we have all been through problems , your tank will be amazing when all cycled and fish happy as a great size , good luck with getting this sorted
cathy

Is this the same place you got the original fish? If so, push the point that they gave you horrendous advice and it's their duty to help you sort this out.

If not then an option maybe to trade the highest bioload fish you have (the two 'suckerfish') for Discus and see how you go. At least that way you may end up with some Discus out of the forced trade-in. Just make sure you keep up with the water changes to give them the best chance. You could then trade the rest once your tank is ready for more Discus.

Hi I have been reading your thread and so sorry for your loss and also bad advice from your vender , I have always found the advice on this forum great as we have all been through problems , your tank will be amazing when all cycled and fish happy as a great size , good luck with getting this sorted
cathy

Is this the same place you got the original fish? If so, push the point that they gave you horrendous advice and it's their duty to help you sort this out.

If not then an option maybe to trade the highest bioload fish you have (the two 'suckerfish') for Discus and see how you go. At least that way you may end up with some Discus out of the forced trade-in. Just make sure you keep up with the water changes to give them the best chance. You could then trade the rest once your tank is ready for more Discus.

Thank you, bikerfish.

Going ahead with your advise Aquascaper and exchanging my suckers for Discus fish. And no, its not the same vendor. Also going to set up a divider and hope this all works out.

My Tiger Oscar is exhibiting diminished fins, as in its like something has eaten into its fins. I'm guessing there's something wrong here? Any advise?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back