Fish upside down bottom of tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Laurabhspt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, have a swordtail upside down on the bottom of the tank. Was still attempting to swim overnight, but this morning found it wedged in an ornament. Have made a makeshift hospital tank, (storage box, heater and air pump) and popped in a breeding box within there (didnā€™t want it getting stuck against the heater and burning itself). Fins are clamped, eyes look a little bulging, and small red area on the belly (could be bruising from being stuck in ornament?). Any advice greatly received, I was thinking swim bladder treatment? Iā€™ve recently been feeding flakes as itā€™s literally all that the fish shop hadā€¦ others seem fine thoughā€¦.took video but canā€™t seem to upload so I will post again in a moment with photos
Thanks!
DBD18175-159B-4E3C-A292-A00EB625DF61.png
AFA266DC-4847-4BB1-A655-F65D9BB00A7C.jpeg
0EDF6223-36F9-41AA-AB82-787BF79557F3.jpeg

If it's upside down like that, it's very likely that it won't survive.
I'm not very knowledgeable with fish diseases but generally a fish swimming upside down is so far gone you can't save it.
I hope someone more experienced will chime in.

If it's upside down like that, it's very likely that it won't survive.
I'm not very knowledgeable with fish diseases but generally a fish swimming upside down is so far gone you can't save it.
I hope someone more experienced will chime in.
Thankyou, I thought this was likely the case, but thought Iā€™d ask incase there was something that could be donex. Thanks for your swift reply

Thankyou, I thought this was likely the case, but thought Iā€™d ask incase there was something that could be donex. Thanks for your swift reply
Yep!
What are your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrite?
I would euthanize the sick swordtail. You can use clove oil or stick it in a small container of ice water to do this. Although it's up to you if you want to euthanize.
Are there any other fish affected?

Most reactions

trending

Back