Fish upside down bottom of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Laurabhspt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, have a swordtail upside down on the bottom of the tank. Was still attempting to swim overnight, but this morning found it wedged in an ornament. Have made a makeshift hospital tank, (storage box, heater and air pump) and popped in a breeding box within there (didnā€™t want it getting stuck against the heater and burning itself). Fins are clamped, eyes look a little bulging, and small red area on the belly (could be bruising from being stuck in ornament?). Any advice greatly received, I was thinking swim bladder treatment? Iā€™ve recently been feeding flakes as itā€™s literally all that the fish shop hadā€¦ others seem fine thoughā€¦.took video but canā€™t seem to upload so I will post again in a moment with photos
Thanks!
DBD18175-159B-4E3C-A292-A00EB625DF61.png
AFA266DC-4847-4BB1-A655-F65D9BB00A7C.jpeg
0EDF6223-36F9-41AA-AB82-787BF79557F3.jpeg

If it's upside down like that, it's very likely that it won't survive.
I'm not very knowledgeable with fish diseases but generally a fish swimming upside down is so far gone you can't save it.
I hope someone more experienced will chime in.

If it's upside down like that, it's very likely that it won't survive.
I'm not very knowledgeable with fish diseases but generally a fish swimming upside down is so far gone you can't save it.
I hope someone more experienced will chime in.
Thankyou, I thought this was likely the case, but thought Iā€™d ask incase there was something that could be donex. Thanks for your swift reply

Thankyou, I thought this was likely the case, but thought Iā€™d ask incase there was something that could be donex. Thanks for your swift reply
Yep!
What are your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrite?
I would euthanize the sick swordtail. You can use clove oil or stick it in a small container of ice water to do this. Although it's up to you if you want to euthanize.
Are there any other fish affected?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back