Fish turning black / blind (saltwater)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Stacyvamp

Reaction score
Hello. I recently noticed that my schooling bannerfish started to turn black in the front of his face. I also suspect that heā€™s going blind, because his eyes look black/cloudy, he doesnā€™t see food, and sometimes bumps into fish. He also doesnā€™t run away from me when I come near the fishtank, as he usually did before. He was also always the first one to eat the food when it would drop, now heā€™s lucky to even get one piece by accident. Please advise me on what I can do, he is my favorite fish and I would absolutely hate to lose him. My fish tank is around one year old, I do water changes Once every two weeks, 15%.

Attachments

• F4AC1AEA-3E7A-4E20-8C42-30CDA115FA6A.jpeg
    F4AC1AEA-3E7A-4E20-8C42-30CDA115FA6A.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 44
  • ACB6F06D-862A-498C-9840-90B2AC8A78AB.jpeg
    ACB6F06D-862A-498C-9840-90B2AC8A78AB.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 41
I think you should check with an aquatic vet as soon as possible if you think the fishā€™s eyesight is at risk. Thereā€™s antibiotics you could try on your own if you live somewhere they are available over the counter but if you choose the wrong one your fish could go blind. The eye is too precious an organ for trial and error šŸ˜¬ Do you test your water for ammonia and nitrite? If thereā€™s some problem with water quality you would want to fix it to prevent future problems but either way if thereā€™s an eye infection going on youā€™ll want to treat with antibiotics because thereā€™s not much wiggle room to try conservative things and just see if it improves. Not for a fish youā€™re very attached to anyway.

I think you should check with an aquatic vet as soon as possible if you think the fishā€™s eyesight is at risk. Thereā€™s antibiotics you could try on your own if you live somewhere they are available over the counter but if you choose the wrong one your fish could go blind. The eye is too precious an organ for trial and error šŸ˜¬ Do you test your water for ammonia and nitrite? If thereā€™s some problem with water quality you would want to fix it to prevent future problems but either way if thereā€™s an eye infection going on youā€™ll want to treat with antibiotics because thereā€™s not much wiggle room to try conservative things and just see if it improves. Not for a fish youā€™re very attached to anyway.
Okay i understand. Thank you. I will try to find a vet

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back