Fish Trouble

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

karmagl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Request Help
Ok I will fill out the basics but some do not really apply because we have been having this problem since we got our tank 6 months ago. 4 days ago we upgraded to a new tank thinking that it might be the seal.
Tank size:72 gallons
pH:7.2
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0
kH:?
gH:?
tank temp:74

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):Whit film, losing gills, darting, floating at bottom but still alive, orange poop with clear sack around it and clear spaces between the orange, loss of appitite, then death

Volume and Frequency of water changes:10 gallons a week and check levels daily

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:TLC for freshwater aquariums once a week, and aquasafe when adding water

Tank inhabitants:2 mollies left we have lost 3, fire eel, ghost knife, tetra, guppy, 2 clown loach, red tail shark, upside down catfish, sm catfish, yo yo loach, 6 skeleton fish, dwarf frog, twig catfish. Were mainly having trouble with the mollies but 2 months ago bought 5 angel fish and lost them all in 2 weeks same symptoms.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):driftwood

Exposure to chemicals:no we are very careful. We do have a wood stove 12 feet away but bought an air filter and put next to fire place.

Feeding- mornings a small amount of flake food. Night half cube of shrimp half cube of blood worms.

Our fish guy has been racking his brain we have no idea why we keep losing them, any ideas I can't find anything to match their orange poop on the internet it looks like it has a sack around it.

It's generally not too good to have nitrates at 0 since this shows the presence of beneficial bacteria, but its not so bad as to cause disease breakouts, just some stress. Since your tank setup it still fairly new, i would try reducing the amount you take out so you give the bacteria time to rejuvinate and see your nitrates come up abit and see how that goes, maybe only takeout 7 gallons weekly? How often are you cleaning your filters? I wouldn't clean your filter every week, i do mine on a monthly basis but NOT along with a large water change or I chance having a spike due to removing too much bacteria.
As for lesians, i would check your fish or decor for the cause that. I wouldn't say all your fish are compatible, like your frogs(my dwarfs are very nippy towards other fish), your shark can be aggressive, your fire eel and ghostknife( they may find smaller fish edible) will outgrow your tank aswell. Compatibility is very important and a wound from another fish can easily turn into an infection or fungas.

I see a few problems here. If you are changing 10 gallons weekly with that bio load and have no nitrates you either have so many live plants that you can't see the fish, or an out of date test kit. If you had an established bio filter you would have no ammonia, but some nitrate. If you didn't have an established bio filter you would have ammonia & nitrite with little nitrate. If you are using test strips get a liquid test kit, strips are horribly inaccurate. This may also be at zero across the board if you did a 100% or nearly so water change when switching out the tank.

Orangish feces are ok, this could be the normal color from the flake or bloodworms. The clearish mucus connecting them, hiding at the bottom, then refusing to eat indicates internal parasites. Angels are great for getting these, especially when stressed.

Mollys need some salt in the water, though not a true brackish fish. The cats & loachs won't like the salt at all, this needs to be sorted out.

I would pick up another tank for the mollys, add some salt and medicate with metronidazole. Go easy on the bloodworms, these can cause bloating & other intestinal problems. A couple times weekly with bloodworms is fine, unless you are conditioning breeders. Try feeding something a little lower in protein, zuccini or other vegetables in the squash family are good, especially for the twig cat. Fish often need a little roughage to keep them regular.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back