Fish That Will Get Along With African Cichlids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank and I want to get 2 African Cichlids (male and female), and I was wondering what other fish, if any, could I put in the tank that would get along with the Cichlids?
Thanks in advance!

what species?
What species of Cichlids or of other fish? It does not matter...I was thinking about getting neon tetras...would that be a good choice? I'm sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean by what species?

I am not sure if this is right, but I looked around on the internet and found this name...Metriaclima. Hope this helps?

10 Gallons isn't big enough for any African Cichlid as they like plenty of room and most will outgrow that size tank.
Maybe you should look at one of the smaller Cichlids like Apistogrammas?

What you should know is that there are TONS of African cichlids, most of whom are way way too big for a 10g tank. The Rift Lake cichlids (which is what I bet you're thinking of) also need to be kept in large groups for the most part so that they don't bully each other to death.

There are some Tanganyikan cichlids that are small enough for a 10g. Those are called shell-dwellers and you can keep a small group in a 10g.

You could also get a pair of Apistogramma cichlids and keep them in a 10g.

A 10g is too small to have tankmates with Apistogramma cichlids because the cichlids will attack everything else when they breed.

A 10g is also too small to have two female Apistogrammas together because they will fight. So if you want tankmates, you can only really get away with it if you just have one cichlid. In which case, you could have a group of small schooling fish like neons, harlequin rasboras, pygmy cories, etc.

What you should know is that there are TONS of African cichlids, most of whom are way way too big for a 10g tank. The Rift Lake cichlids (which is what I bet you're thinking of) also need to be kept in large groups for the most part so that they don't bully each other to death.

There are some Tanganyikan cichlids that are small enough for a 10g. Those are called shell-dwellers and you can keep a small group in a 10g.

You could also get a pair of Apistogramma cichlids and keep them in a 10g.

A 10g is too small to have tankmates with Apistogramma cichlids because the cichlids will attack everything else when they breed.

A 10g is also too small to have two female Apistogrammas together because they will fight. So if you want tankmates, you can only really get away with it if you just have one cichlid. In which case, you could have a group of small schooling fish like neons, harlequin rasboras, pygmy cories, etc.
Ok, thanks for the info...I guess I will wait until I get a bigger tank to get cichlids...I will get something smaller for now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back