Fish that we don't see anymore

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Thought it could be fun for members to scan up some old photos of fish that have really disappeared. I have these two photos of Angels. A tuxedo and a Black. I don't know about the rest of the world but these have all but disappeared in New Zealand. The Black won second in the 1979 National Fish Show. The tuxedo didn't place, this was a breeding pair, when I got home they spawned the next week!!.

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_0004.jpg
    IMG_20200929_0004.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_20200929_0005.jpg
    IMG_20200929_0005.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 220
good quality ones.

I did wonder how difficult It would be to set up a breeding program for better traits. maybe select for size, age, deformity prevalence, disease resistance, stress tolerance? You also need to ensure adequate genetic diversity at the start of the program.

But I have a feeling that we might loose some of the more visual traits in the process.

Take guppies, a nice quick generation time, easy to keep possible to select for longer living stocks or parents which produce less deformed offspring, or more stress tolerant ect but I think without the help of genetic tools the only reliable (visual) way to ensure adequate diversity at the start is mix fish shapes and colours, which would be lost ( at least initially)

I did wonder how difficult It would be to set up a breeding program for better traits. maybe select for size, age, deformity prevalence, disease resistance, stress tolerance? You also need to ensure adequate genetic diversity at the start of the program.

But I have a feeling that we might loose some of the more visual traits in the process.

Take guppies, a nice quick generation time, easy to keep possible to select for longer living stocks or parents which produce less deformed offspring, or more stress tolerant ect but I think without the help of genetic tools the only reliable (visual) way to ensure adequate diversity at the start is mix fish shapes and colours, which would be lost ( at least initially)
About 5 years ago after lots of people asked me why their guppies were dying, I set up a 200 liter tank to see what would happen I put 10 guppies into it. After just one generation the fish were a lot healthier but without the same spectacular tails. So here lies the question is it just the food that the imported guppies are fed that makes them weak and vulnerable to disease.

Last edited:
Imported guppies are riddled with disease and fed on things grown in sewerage ponds.

Just about everyone who buys imported guppies will lose them within a year, but any babies they get will usually be fine. This has been going on with guppies (and other common livebearers) for over 20 years. The adults are inbred and covered in parasites. If you can get unrelated fish and breed them, you get bigger batches of young and healthier young. You also need to treat the fish for parasites (intestinal worms, gill flukes, external protozoans) as soon as you get them.

Imported guppies are riddled with disease and fed on things grown in sewerage ponds.

Just about everyone who buys imported guppies will lose them within a year, but any babies they get will usually be fine. This has been going on with guppies (and other common livebearers) for over 20 years. The adults are inbred and covered in parasites. If you can get unrelated fish and breed them, you get bigger batches of young and healthier young. You also need to treat the fish for parasites (intestinal worms, gill flukes, external protozoans) as soon as you get them.
It may be an idea for you to write up a warning post re this and have it as a link for new bees and the rest of the forum as this is a continual problem here.

So they call them Tuxedo's in New Zealand huh ? That's what I always knew as The Half Black. I haven't seen one or thought of them in years. They are very beautiful when you see them in person. With so many specialty breeders around there must be somebody who has them. @NCaquatics That's a great picture of that Betta. Nice healthy fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back