Fish that decimate all. With a catch.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Right to I know I haven't been on here in a while. And I shelved the shrimps in my 10 gallon tank. Partly due to studies. Partly due to the fact that the tank sits on the sun and I had a huge algae problem. So the tank stood for a long time empty. But what I've done now is set it up with a "garden and waterfall" right at the top of the tank but it has plenty of space left. I'd say about 7 gal. Is there a fish that will be able to live in this that would absolutely decimate any bit of other life in the tank. A bit like a convict but obviously space is a issue.
(can be solitary. Can be a pair. Can be a group. Preferable a dull coloured fish but I don't really care). If no such fish exists I'll get a few colorless guppies along with some red ramshorns that I'll get from my other tank and ill have to make a plan to block off the sunlight but somehow keep it a naturally lit tank.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

Assuming the space is roughly rectangular, the obvious choice is a betta. (not sure why you would prefer a drab coloured fish)

I'll send a pic once the water is all clear. All the sticks have sunk. And plants are in place.
I don't want the focus to be on the fish. The fish must be there to eat algae and slime and produce waste for the garden.

And yes I should probably have mentioned that I'm not a huge fan of Bettas. I've had 2 and I've was never really impressed by them.

Oh is should probably add. It doesn't have to be fish. There is land in the tank(not to much but there is) so frogs and crabs are an option. Also it doesn't have to be heated.

The only this I could recommend (if you really want a drab colored fish) is to get some mosquito fish, or a wild Female betta. These can get expensive, so mosquito fish are the cheaper option. :)

What about something like a peppered cory? Not too flashy, will stick towards the bottom and eats debris. Only gets 2.5-3 inches so you could get like 3 of them and they should pretty much stick out of sight.

Will go have a look at them.

Also pepper cories require a lot more space than 7 gal. And at least a school of 6 preferable 10 or more.

What about something like a peppered cory? Not too flashy, will stick towards the bottom and eats debris. Only gets 2.5-3 inches so you could get like 3 of them and they should pretty much stick out of sight.
Pepper copies need to be in a group of 6 or more and a 7g tank is way to small for a shoal. You would need a 20g long for a shoal. :)

Is there a fish that will be able to live in this that would absolutely decimate any bit of other life in the tank.
What exactly do you mean by this? Algae, insects, both or something else. If we knew what you are trying to achieve we may be able to help - and the answer may not even be livestock.

What exactly do you mean by this? Algae, insects, both or something else. If we knew what you are trying to achieve we may be able to help - and the answer may not even be livestock.
I was sort of confused as well. Decimate means to kill, or destroy. What are you wanting to kill?

Hahah lol. My bad. By all I mean algae. I did actually mention it in an earlier post. I'd never want to kill another animal [emoji32]

TBH I'm not sure you are going to find anything that fits the bill. Why not just use chlorine, or possibly something like Excel (gluteraldehyde) and forget fish if the garden is the main point of the tank. If its outdoors and you can't control the natural light you may need a small UV steriliser to deal with unicellular algae.

Alright. I'll have to move it then. And then add mosquito fish. And a couple of ramshorns.

Alright. I'll have to move it then. And then add mosquito fish. And a couple of ramshorns.

Mosquito fish are really cool. They are dull, but they are full of energy. Be prepared to have a lot of ramshorn in your tank. I got around 10, 5 months ago, and now I have over 1,000. They repopulate very fast. ;)

So I've been told.

I know about the ramshorns. I've had them for many years they came with when I bought my 20 or so breeding tanks. I simply skipped them out of my other tank. Initially they were white. But then when I added a log with a lot of tannins they went a brilliant red.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back