Fish TB and people

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
This is just a general question as i have no fish with fish TB but i would still like to know for future reference;
I have known for some time that you can technically get fish TB off fish, but how contagious is it and how is it passed on exactly? Does fish TB show the same symtoms as normal human TB? How does fish TB get passed on from fish to fish exactly and what are the chances of it being passed on just by contact with water that infected fish are living in? I have tried searching it up on the inet but can't find any speciffic answers to these questions and as my lfs has some fish with fish TB, the threat of my fish getting it is not so distant.
Any info/comments are much appreiciated :)

A guy at work contracted Fish TB. A deep cut on his arm became infecfected and got quite pussy and pretty sick looking.

However apparently it is very rarely anything to be majorly worried about. It takes a while to fully dissapear but as long as it is kept clean along with the medication it should go down fine.

If any of your cuts become inflamed and red and haven't healed about a week after you've had them and you have been in and out of your tank alot, then get checked out.

The Bacteria has to be identified from a sample, its impossible to tell straight away.

Hope this helps...

Ben

I would think that most people would be safe. It would be people with impaired immune systems who would need to be more careful. I have diabetes so I fall into that group. I would really like some very long gloves made of thin material but I have not found any yet. :)

I remember that i didn't have to have the tb jab at school, as my six needle marks stayed, does this mean i've built a immunity up to tb.

Also heard but never read up on it that you can get fishkeepers fingers, what that all about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back