Fish tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
None of us are going to know your general area like you do. Don’t you have any local fish stores or any of the big box pet stores nearby? You can always wait for a sale at a local store and you can call them to ask them if they can tell you of any upcoming sales. If you live in a rural area you may need to drive to a nearby larger city to find some of the larger pet stores like PetCo, or PetSmart, etc. It would be nice if you have a tropical fish store within a couple of hours though.

You can also look around for a used aquarium, just make sure it holds water and clean it (without soap) before you use it. You can look at local social media sites like NextDoor.com or Facebook Marketplace, even Craigslist. I know now is not the weather for garage sales but you might find one there.

In my opinion it is best to find them locally and not order them online and have them shipped as packages that are shipped to individuals and carried around by individuals generally get jostled around much more than when they are put on a semi truck going straight to a big box store and unloaded with a hi-lo.

In the US petco frequently run sales on the tank themselves making them pretty cheap. For the other stuff - depends what i am doing; frequently i just go with matten filters and being lazy order the parts from swisstropical but you could in make the braces yourself if you wanted.

I don't find many on the used ads are great deals in my area as they are always priced a little less than brand new, plus I don't know what they put in there in the past. I have had luck though buying the display or discontinued tank model's at eg Big Al's and other stores when they come up and ask if they have any used tanks or equipment for sale. Some nice high end sometimes available with sometimes a few scratches. I keep an eye on garage sales and sometimes I've gotten a few by the curb. I've had to re silicone a few like that. Ask around. Many people lose interest and just have them in the garage and are happy to get rid of them. Fish clubs are a good source as they have their own buy and sell forums and member auctions. Group buys as well. Good luck!

Some killer deals can be found at yard sales. Especially in the 10-gallon size. Check for leaks by having them fill the tank before purchase.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back