Fish Tank With Cracked Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DinPerth

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right section to post in (sorry if it is wrong)

I got a new fish tank really cheap ($50) it is a 3ft x 1.5ft tank that has a section of glass going front to back in the middle at the top, part of this is cracked and I am wondering if firstly is this piece of glass is critical to the tank structure or whether it is just a place to rest the glass lids.

If it is vital to the actual structure then what is the best way to repair it/ replace it. Please keep in mind I am not that great with DIY.

When I bought it I asked if they had ever kept fish in but they hadn't and it was a reptile tank, I have filled it with water in the back garden and now 48hours later no worries at all, still holding all the water which I filled to the very top (more than I would have in an aquarium)

I will post a picture tonight when I am home from work.

I would just like to get some advice from experts, if you think it best to sell it on as a reptile tank then I can and purchase a better quality one.

Anyway let me know your thoughts guys.

Cheers

Ducnan

that is a brace bar, designed to help support the tank seams and stop the water pressure pushing the glass walls outwards. You need to replace it, as overtime the tank may weaken otherwise. Get a sharp blade and cut the silicone connecting that one to the rim. Get a new peice of glass cut to the same measurements and simply silicone it in pace. Let it dry for at least 48 hours, maybe more like a week if you use a lot of silicone. All whilst the tank is empty of course to ensure no outwards pressure is present.

You should never fill a tank designed to be a reptile tank. The glass in a reptile tank is simply not thick enough.
If it is a fish tank that was simply used to hold a reptile, that is different. The glass strut in the middle of the tank is a structural member. To repair it, simply use a razor to remove the broken piece and replace it with a new piece of glass. Once the broken piece is out, use your razor to remove the residual silicone, where it had been connected. Once you have a nice clean glass and a replacement strut, put it in lace using fresh aquarium silicone. After about 3 days it will be fairly well cured and you can test the integrity of your newly refurbished tank. That center strut keeps the front and back glass from bowing out so far that it breaks.

Most reactions

trending

Back