Fish tank help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

bumalkk

Reaction score
hello! iā€™ve owned a fish before, but cant get my hands on spring water/filtered water so iā€™m using tap water. whatā€™s the best brand for conditioning? i had to but the lil guy in another tank because there was bacteria even though i used a conditioner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 15
I don't understand your question to be honest.

What kind of bacteria are you concerned with? A healthy tank has large populations of bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites then nitrates. For a healthy tank such bacteria is very much needed. How do you even know there IS bacteria?

As to a water conditioner the only thing that should be used is to remove chlorine. The probable top two for this are likely to be either Prime or API. Do NOT use API Stress Coat as the free floating aloe can inhibit the function of the gills.

Please give more info as to tank size, water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. I advise to do these water tests with an API liquid master test kit. Without such info it is almost impossible to give a real answer.

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what country you're in. Different brands.

The API product's full name is API Tap Water Conditioner. Just that one, none of the other water conditioners they make.
Well... Also API Aqua Essentials if they have the ammonia and chlorine (chloramine). I use it cause my tap has it... I've heard its better than prime with that

Whichever conditioner you decide upon, make sure you read the ingredients very carefully and avoid those with Aloe Vera, Tea Tree and any other aromatherapy type ingredient.

The bottles will state that these ingredients will help stressed fish....when infact they build up over time and fatally damage the labrynth organ in fish such as Gourami and Betta and slowly suffocate other fish by blocking the gills.

They do not disolve in water nor do they leave the water during the water changes....they sit there and each time they are used, the build up increases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back