FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Izzy_guppy_303

Reaction score
Hello itā€™s me again, my fish are now pooping pretty normal, however I did a cleaning of the tank I think I did too much of a water change and gravel clean. I added dechlorinator though. However I think I overfed them. Now they r staying at the top all of the together. Maybe they r in shock. They came down for a bit to eat but now wonā€™t come down. Help please, Iā€™m very worried I donā€™t want anything bad to happen to my fish. They are almost very still.

Attachments

• 3D05A1CB-55D9-4FCB-B4F8-6A3D46C971F4.png
    3D05A1CB-55D9-4FCB-B4F8-6A3D46C971F4.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 81B516F2-5B8C-4D7B-B5C7-D23743F88FAE.png
    81B516F2-5B8C-4D7B-B5C7-D23743F88FAE.png
    426.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 4DDB4539-FBA1-43A1-8759-C1B0E7088E66.png
    4DDB4539-FBA1-43A1-8759-C1B0E7088E66.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 116
Hello itā€™s me again, my fish are now pooping pretty normal, however I did a cleaning of the tank I think I did too much of a water change and gravel clean. I added dechlorinator though. However I think I overfed them. Now they r staying at the top all of the together. Maybe they r in shock. They came down for a bit to eat but now wonā€™t come down. Help please, Iā€™m very worried I donā€™t want anything bad to happen to my fish. They are almost very still.
Please anyone?????

They look visibly ok, Im not an expert but when you did your water change, did you add overly hot or cold water? Also if you have a thermometer what is the temperature? Also if you are able, post what you get from a water test (pH nitrite nitrate etc.). Lastly how much water did you change (30% 50% 60%) and how often do you do water changes.

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Can you fill that in please, also how long has the tank been cycled?

Was the tank cycled before adding fish?

They look visibly ok, Im not an expert but when you did your water change, did you add overly hot or cold water? Also if you have a thermometer what is the temperature? Also if you are able, post what you get from a water test (pH nitrite nitrate etc.). Lastly how much water did you change (30% 50% 60%) and how often do you do water changes.
Hello the temperature is a bit less than 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I did a water change today about a 35-40% . The nitrate was 20ppm and 3ppm for nitrite but I added dechlorinater and bacterial booster.

Okay so the tank isnā€™t cycled
Youā€™re going to have to do a fish in cycle. Dechlorinator isnā€™t bacteria.
I had to change 75% of the water daily for five to six weeks until my daily ammonia and nitrites were reading 0 for an additional 7 days.
You can use a bacterial product but this wonā€™t speed up the cycle. Those nitrites are pretty high. Was the 3ppm before or after the change.
Be aware you could end up changing water more than once a day, I did early on.
What made you change the filter? No need for a few years, just swish it out in removed tank water, not tap water. Put it back in the filter, done
If you havenā€™t invested in a proper test kit, the api master kit for freshwater might seem pricey but it is well worth itā€™s value in tests

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Can you fill that in please, also how long has the tank been cycled?
Tank size: 6.7 gallons
pH: is low idk why but 6.5
ammonia: ? Iā€™m not sure total alkalinity was about 40-80? Btw I have a test strip for my water.
nitrite: 20-40
nitrate: 3 ppm
kH: ? Not sure :(((
gH: 75 ppm
tank temp: 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

They are all huddled together in one corner of the top of the tank barely swimming around.
I changed it today, four days ago I changed it BC I gave it flubendazole for medicine.
I added api general cure with food today. And a dechlorinator as well as biological booster. That was probably a bad mistake.
Tank inhabitants: 4 male guppies

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): no recent additions

Exposure to chemicals: not that I know of??

Please tell me you have those nitrites and nitrates values the wrong way around? Either way a big water change needs to be done asap

Also have a read through this, youā€™ll need to learn quickly about the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia and nitrites, anything above 0, even 0.25 is dangerous and can cause permanent damage

Hi,

Guppies naturally like being at the top of the tank, if you can have some floating plant that they can hang around in that will make them feel more at home. Remember fish live in clean fresh water, so be careful with what chemicals you add to your tank.

Hey..it's scary at first but once you get the levels right it's smoother sailing. Some floating plants will help your guppies feel more secure & bonus is they'll grow quickly & use up ammonia. Frogbit or Salvinia would be good.

Best test is the API Master Test Kit. It works out much better value than strips as it contains enough for 800 tests. This will test Ammonia too which is really important to keep an eye on.

You want ammonia and Nitrite always at 0. Anything above requires a big water change. I do 75% changes. If Nitrate is over 20ppm then do a big water change.

More info here https://www.fishforums.net/threads/rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i.433769/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back