Fish Suffering At School!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aren't goldfish feeders anyway? Isn't that the primary reason people buy most goldfish? Maybe that's why she blew you off as if it was nothing...

I don't get it though, I can understand that the fish is "suffering" but in opposite cases, it's only a fish when you think about it. A fish that is commonly known for feeders. What about dissecting frogs? Isn't that nearly the same exact situation? I'm sorry that I'm confused about this. I understand animal cruelty, but what I don't understand is why make such a HUGE deal and investment into a goldfish? I'm sorry if I upset or insult anyone with this post, but I just happen to be confused by this.

So if it were a cute kitten kept in a tiny box in which it couldnt turn around, and had to sit in its own excrement, that WOULDNT be ok? Probably not, so why because fish arent (IMO they are) cute, is it ok to keep a 1.5in fish in 1in worth of water with no water changes so its sat in its own waste (which burns and poisons??). It is needless cruelty and in the end, death that needent have occured. Fish DO NOT have 3 second memories (a myth) and DO have feelings too..

It has been proved by scientific study by British scientists who say that after years of debate, they now have proof that fish feel pain, that fish have pain receptors in their heads and that subjecting them to noxious substances causes "adverse behavioral and physiological changes." This fulfills the criteria for animal pain..read this Do Fish Feel Pain . How about we put you in a bath to eat, breathe and sleep in your own muck - see how you would like it.

Before I loose my rag totally, what the **** is a feeder fish anyways?? I am assume you mean to feed other creatures with?????

Before I loose my rag totally, what the hell is a feeder fish anyways?? I am assume you mean to feed other creatures with?????

Feeder fish are fish sold very cheap for the purpose of being live food for other fish.

I also am not aloud to do craigslist or anything like that. :( So that was out of the question. A $37 about that.... 10gal tank was my only option, but somebody said I shouldn't. Plus the fish are gone now...

Before I loose my rag totally, what the hell is a feeder fish anyways?? I am assume you mean to feed other creatures with?????

Feeder fish are fish sold very cheap for the purpose of being live food for other fish.

I also am not aloud to do craigslist or anything like that. :( So that was out of the question. A $37 about that.... 10gal tank was my only option, but somebody said I shouldn't. Plus the fish are gone now...

why should you pay for a tank to house fish for the school? the darn school should pay not you, if you havent already done so ask your parents to speak to the head. especially if that teacher buys more fish!!!!

Sh shouldn't have to, but if it happens again would you be able to stop yourself? I know I wouldn't.

If she does get more fish and you really cannot afford a glass tank, then a BIG clear plastic storage tub (food safe) will do for a tank an they are dirt cheap. Most home depot type stores will sell them, or probably Walmart or some similar type of store. Get one at least 18 inches long and 12 inches high.

One like this but more see through of course , the biggest, clearest you can lay your hands on:

3c34_lg.jpg

Again as with any glass tank, a basic heater and filter will be fine. Just cut a couple of notches in the edge of the lid to allow the wires to come out so the lid still fits on securely. You should also drill/cut a few small holes in the lid centre to allow oxygen to get in and circulate .

You don't have to have live plants or a light to grow them, plastic or silk plants will do just fine, and a basic desklamp can be put over the tub if you want to illuminate it.

Aren't goldfish feeders anyway? Isn't that the primary reason people buy most goldfish? Maybe that's why she blew you off as if it was nothing...

I don't get it though, I can understand that the fish is "suffering" but in opposite cases, it's only a fish when you think about it. A fish that is commonly known for feeders. What about dissecting frogs? Isn't that nearly the same exact situation? I'm sorry that I'm confused about this. I understand animal cruelty, but what I don't understand is why make such a HUGE deal and investment into a goldfish? I'm sorry if I upset or insult anyone with this post, but I just happen to be confused by this.

The deal is this: feeding goldfish to a bigger fish is natural. Killing them in an inch of water is NOT. Feeders die in 7 seconds, while a mistreated fish takes 7 days to die. Big difference.

why should you pay for a tank to house fish for the school? the darn school should pay not you, if you havent already done so ask your parents to speak to the head. especially if that teacher buys more fish!!!!

Agreed! You shouldn't have to be the one to literally pay for her irresponsibility. Write a letter to the teacher and have your parents sign it if she gets more. If she can't set a good animal husbandry example, she shouldn't set a bad one: just don't get fish! Just outline in the letter that it is inappropriate to keep a setup like this at school and that they shouldn't own fish if they can't take care of them. If the staff sees your parent's concern about what this teacher is teaching kids, they might get off their butts and do something. Even if you don't give a crap about fish, there are so many wrong and unprofessional things about your teacher's attitude.

Update, had the class again today, the puddle was GONE and there were no replacement fish! That is great though still 2 fish lost their lives. :(

Update, had the class again today, the puddle was GONE and there were no replacement fish! That is great though still 2 fish lost their lives. :(
Have you talked to her about it yet?

-FHM

I was actually out of the class most of the time to go to another class. I will 100% ask her about it next Wednesday. Can't ask her today I'm home sick. :(

So, Inchyally,

Poor goldies.

did you ask your teacher about it in the end? what was her excuse?

Well, I hope she learned a good lesson anyway - unfortunately it is at the cost of 2 fishies

I don't know what sectionb to put this in...

In my school, I went to one of my classes and wanted to puke.

There were two goldfish that my teacher purchased as the class pets. They weren't in a tank... or a bowl (unsuitable...) even. They were in a 'turtle island' with only an inch of water. It was really sad. They were half way out of the water, barely able to swim.

I know that these two goldfish together require a 30gal+ tank, but I can't afford it. A 10gal I can afford by the skin of my teeth, though that is undersized. Should I get it anyway?

When I explained that the goldfish could not live in this condition, the teacher told me 'Well, they've been alive for a week'.

I cringed.

I don't have a job any more, and don't have money for even a new test kit. :( Is this worth the effort?

OH MY GOODNESS! That's terrible! :(

I remember when I was in grade 6... we had a 10 gallon with 13 goldfish inside! :crazy: :sick: :sick: :sick:
(And at that time, I didn't know any better, so I thought it was acceptable.... stupid me! :no: )

Threaten to report the teacher. I like the idea of bringing the goldies home with you.

I don't know what sectionb to put this in...

In my school, I went to one of my classes and wanted to puke.

There were two goldfish that my teacher purchased as the class pets. They weren't in a tank... or a bowl (unsuitable...) even. They were in a 'turtle island' with only an inch of water. It was really sad. They were half way out of the water, barely able to swim.

I know that these two goldfish together require a 30gal+ tank, but I can't afford it. A 10gal I can afford by the skin of my teeth, though that is undersized. Should I get it anyway?

When I explained that the goldfish could not live in this condition, the teacher told me 'Well, they've been alive for a week'.

I cringed.

I don't have a job any more, and don't have money for even a new test kit. :( Is this worth the effort?

OH MY GOODNESS! That's terrible! :(

I remember when I was in grade 6... we had a 10 gallon with 13 goldfish inside! :crazy: :sick: :sick: :sick:
(And at that time, I didn't know any better, so I thought it was acceptable.... stupid me! :no: )

Threaten to report the teacher. I like the idea of bringing the goldies home with you.

It is too late now, the 2 fish are in the big fish tank in the sky. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back